Massive bubbling

Guest Joe_SG

These bubbling symptoms only appear recently, about 18 months after job completion.

- Are the bubbles (lifted film) all on the same exposure?

- Are the bubbles consistent on each failed piece? Similar pattern, bubble shape, is it only in the center of the window or are there bubbles on the edges as well?

GLASS panels that's partially exposed to the weather elements.

- Where is this located? Besides sunlight, what temperatures have there been in the last 18 months? Is it a humid climate?

the thing that's bothering me: this symptom's not consistent. We did several similar panels in the same building, but so far, only a few panels turned up with this kind of defects.

This one is the biggie as to figuring out whether it is a product defect or some other factor...

- Did all of your film come off of the same master roll? Check your Lot #'s...

- You said "we did similar panels..." did you have help? Did everyone who installed have a failed piece of film? Did you all use the same install method? What kind of soap did you use when you applied the film?

It is a process of elimination... Eliminate product by checking to see if your film came from the same run or not. Eliminate labor by checking to see whose windows failed and whether failed panes all have a single installer in common. Then check your install method to see if everything was uniform. Check you cleaning and applicator solution... sometimes this can be the culprit.

If none of the above are red flags then check the glass. Is it all the same? Or have there been replaced panes? I know you say there is no self-cleaning coatings but those can be incredibly hard to detect. Do some research and check the glass specs on all original and any replaced panes.

Just a few ways to get to the bottom of things... build your case and if it is indeed the film, you will have plenty of evidence and research for your claim. :twocents

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These bubbling symptoms only appear recently, about 18 months after job completion.

- Are the bubbles (lifted film) all on the same exposure?

- Are the bubbles consistent on each failed piece? Similar pattern, bubble shape, is it only in the center of the window or are there bubbles on the edges as well?

GLASS panels that's partially exposed to the weather elements.

- Where is this located? Besides sunlight, what temperatures have there been in the last 18 months? Is it a humid climate?

the thing that's bothering me: this symptom's not consistent. We did several similar panels in the same building, but so far, only a few panels turned up with this kind of defects.

This one is the biggie as to figuring out whether it is a product defect or some other factor...

- Did all of your film come off of the same master roll? Check your Lot #'s...

- You said "we did similar panels..." did you have help? Did everyone who installed have a failed piece of film? Did you all use the same install method? What kind of soap did you use when you applied the film?

It is a process of elimination... Eliminate product by checking to see if your film came from the same run or not. Eliminate labor by checking to see whose windows failed and whether failed panes all have a single installer in common. Then check your install method to see if everything was uniform. Check you cleaning and applicator solution... sometimes this can be the culprit.

If none of the above are red flags then check the glass. Is it all the same? Or have there been replaced panes? I know you say there is no self-cleaning coatings but those can be incredibly hard to detect. Do some research and check the glass specs on all original and any replaced panes.

Just a few ways to get to the bottom of things... build your case and if it is indeed the film, you will have plenty of evidence and research for your claim. :twocents

Vquest has asked you almost every question I would :thumb

The only other thing I'd ask is, are all the panels on the same level? Does the bubble film start at a particular level? Are they the uppermost levels?

I had the same thing happen with white matte. Total job was 1700 sq ft. Interior glass windows and it appears the 1 roll was defective as they were all in a row and approx. 500 sq ft. No idea why the failure after approx. 18 months. I've used the film for years and first failure.

Archived