Difficulties when shrinking side window

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just doing this with my friend as a hobby, we tried the window before I created this thread, but Im sick now so he tried on his own after I gave him the info from this thread.

Not out after your secrers or anything, everyone has their own tips and tricks their comfortable with and works for them, just asking for advice on these frigging fingers lol. Im assuming my friend probably didnt seperate the fingers into smaller ones.

Its correct that I should work all the fingers from the top and sides down to the bottom so I only heat shrink the bottom right? And make several smaller fingers instead of big ones. Problem is that each time I put my heat gun on a finger it would just run a very small finger all the way through to the tip which seems impossible to shrink... and after a while we'd just creade it...

You are trying to shrink the wrong edge of the film. Push the fingers towards the factory edge. Window film has a grain, if you apply heat to the wrong side, you will notice that the finger will almost try getting longer and will never shrink, only crease.

Alrighty then, thanks. My friend claimed he did it right but still got fingers, but I can't talk on his behalf. I'll have a go at it tomorrow myself. If I still get fingers when working everything to the right edge, what am I doing wrong?

Did you guys have these sort of problems a lot on your first cars? :)

Not really, I was lucky enough to personally watch a few installers come and go at the shop I was detailing cars. I was able to observe and ask questions before I decided to throw in the towel on detailing cars and jump into the wonderful mess of window tinting. 

Ah I see. For me its just Youtube then. Not a lot of window tinters over here either. I managed to use brandless cheap film perfectly on my Subaru Forester though. I find window tinting quite amusing, rather addictice and super satisfying to see fingers dissappear :p

Guest joe shmo

Factory edge should always be lined up on the bottom of doors. Also by doing this ensures your film is also turned the correct way for molding. As mentioned before, film can only be molded one direction

Archived