High Volume shop owners. Advice?

So i recently opened my shop 3 weeks ago. And having done side jobs and knowing people who work at car washes and auto repair ceneters, i have to admit i think im doing decent for just being open 3 weeks. Im in a good location and am frequently pasing out flyers and business cards and also swallowing fear and aproaching new car washes and auto shops and leaving business cards after introducing myself. Im keeping up with with my facebook page, yelp, google places etc. i realize this is a slow season, so all things considered i feel like my shop is going in the right direction.

My question is this. To the shop owners who do 15+ cars a day, or 20+ cars a day, with multiple employees, what are your words of wisdom you can give a young shop owner? Ive been tinting since i was in my teens, im 24 now, and i like to think i do a very good job. My main focus has been being polite and doing a very very profesional tint job.

My main points are about marketing and time in business. For you shop owners that do 20+ cars a day or close to that, what would you say is the main reason you do that many cars? Is it constant advertising? Or is it a by-product of word of mouth referals over several years of doing good quality work? Is price a factor?

I realize it takes years to build a reputation and im not looking for a get rich quick answer. Id like to know if anyone who does this many cars has any longterm advice as to how to reach those numbers in the future.

I have done my research and the population where i live and average income Definitely can support me growing my business to those high numbers. There is no other shop doing more that 10 cars a day in my area, and the rest i can confidently say after seeing their finished product, do not do a complete or careful tint job like what i am producing.

Feel free to messege me if you have any advice or comment. Any feed back would be apreciated! Thanks guys!

The biggest mistake that I see is that a window tinter can focus on quality and volume but still not make much money in this trade.  Sometimes the money you are trying to make is under your nose and you never see it.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with quality and volume.  What I am saying is that there is more to the equation to maximize your profits that you should not let slip through the cracks.  I have a video that might add one more piece to the puzzle that you should consider.  I hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/TBNWEyL6zZs?list=UUdlsBvAHtvwzAJdwjYMRwHw   

Thanks for the reply Ralph. Ive seen all of your videos and it makes a lot of sense. I hadnt realized how much easier it is to get the upsell with a little bit of salemanship and a good heat box demo. Been using my homemade heat lamp and slides for a month now and its nice to see people respond positively to it. Thank you for having posted that video too, I may have still not been using ceramic if I hadnt stubled upon it.

Hi!  I am not an owner, but I am a very proud employee. (and an expert at the up-sell!) 

Bill Valway, the owner and CEO of Absolute Perfection posts blogs on this subject once a month.  He is a brilliant businessman! You can't go wrong with the advice he offers. 

http://www.windowfilmmag.com/category/road-to-perfection/

Good luck...it sounds as if you are on the road to a bright future!  :thumb

There's no right or wrong way to run a tint shop in respects to keeping it small or grow it large.

Pros and cons to each, it's about knowing yourself , your needs and what works for you. Focus on becoming successful and what the definition of successful means to you . When this is your focus , your business will grow to to the size that fits your definition of success.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I suppose i have to do some self evaluation and write doen specific goals. I love tinting cars, always have, i dont listen to music or have tv on or even talk while i tint, i just purely enjoy doinh it.

In regards to why i asked about high volume it was because of total profit. Yes higher profit margings are better, and i am doing and will do my best to upsell and get the most for my labor. I have to consider that there is only so much i can do with my two hands. This is why i brought up the topic of high volume. If i can maximize profits, AND increase volume, highering help, of coarse years doewn the road, why would that be a bad decision? I apreciate maximizing profit margins and i can see that doing so you can make a very good comfortable living. I also see the profit in highering workers and then increading volume while still keeping profit per car at a good level, i will make more money without having to actually do all the labor myself, and instead focus my attention to selling and advertising.

Correct me if im wrong but the most sucessfull business people in the world dont trade their time for money, but instead create systems to scale their business beyond their physical connection to their end product.

I realize i have a LONG way to go before i can have employees and such, but i wont be young forever and would like to one day move away from the physical labor and into a more managerial position in my buisiness. Just my thoughts.

Dont be too hard on me lol im still a young business person with A LOT to learn.

Correct me if im wrong but the most sucessfull business people in the world dont trade their time for money, but instead create systems to scale their business beyond their physical connection to their end product.

I realize i have a LONG way to go before i can have employees and such, but i wont be young forever and would like to one day move away from the physical labor and into a more managerial position in my buisiness. Just my thoughts.

Totally true... Just depends on how you define success for yourself. Different people have different ideas for each individual situation. 

Obviously there are many that have large businesses and are very successful with it... just like there are smaller shops that are just as successful. And likewise, there are problems with each. lol

Makes being in business fun. :) :) 

Haha yes being in business is fun. Lots of different paths, none wrong just different. Im glad i decided to open shop, nothing like getting a referal from a very happy customer. I want to start slow, who knows maybe i wont like having to deal with multiple employees lol

Archived