2015 Forester tint issues??

bshort

I took our 2015 Forester XT in to get some film on the front side windows.  Nothing extravagant, just some 70% to keep the heat off.  I pointed out the quarter windows to the tech and he told me that they wouldn't be an issue.  After an hour, the vehicle rolls out.  I immediately notice the melted rubber on the outside near the glass.  Tech told me he didn't notice that when he did it, which seems difficult to comprehend.  Anyway, he says he'll replace it.  Inconvenience #1.

Next I noticed that he trimmed away the rubber trim on the quarter glass.  When asked, he told me that this was an industry standard practice to hide the tint lines.  We're talking 70% here, not much in the way of lines.    

Am I just being too picky here or did I get a hack job?     

IMG_0066_zps986d7dda.jpg

IMG_0070_zps7e18acdf.jpg

Thanks.  I wouldn't think the "industry standard" would be to hack up rubber.  I told the tech that if I had known he was going to trim the rubber, I'd have passed on the job.  It just looks tacky and unprofessional. 

Trimming the rubber is pretty standard....   doing it to that degree is not needed....  usually its a small wedge shape that gets trimmed and is not noticeable.

The outside rubber is a bummer....  glad they are fixing it for you 

Quarter trim does look like crap.  I don't know if it could be made to look any better without replacing it.  I'm sure that job would not be an easy one and would probably never be the same so to speak.  Moral of this story is to never trust Yelp.

I don't understand. I have tint all windows and windshield on my 2015 2.5 touring, and no rubber was cut. In addition, the film was placed inside and why he cut the the rubber outside?

The rubber was cut on the inside! Some installers "gut" the inside rubber/gasket to hide light gaps. 

I don't understand. I have tint all windows and windshield on my 2015 2.5 touring, and no rubber was cut. In addition, the film was placed inside and why he cut the the rubber outside?

The rubber was cut on the inside! Some installers "gut" the inside rubber/gasket to hide light gaps. 

Also that outside rubber was melted, not cut. Looks like they shrank on the car or over-heated the outside trying to get a finger to lay down  

Archived