Filtering Tap Water and Cleaning Spray Bottles

I have had contamination problems in the past at a few places. High particulate in the finished installation led me to investigate. At one shop I was using a sink where the mechanics were washing their hands and using a pumice hand cleaner which led to that grit getting into my solution. I have also seen water systems with high level of calcium. In both instances I switched to bottled water. Like others have said above the majority of the time the tap water is fine and the easiest route. If you are producing clean windows now you should be good to go. Usually if the water is contaminated it will produce a job with particulate through out the entire window and not just in one concentrated area. Hope that helps someone. 

On 1/23/2015 at 7:45 AM, WearTheFoxHat said:

Some Mannys recommend Distilled Water.

Probably to reduce risk of contaminates from hard water or other things you could find in the local water.

Chlorine, Florid, calcium carbonate.... (((and those top secret mind control chemicals that the government slips in without our knowing!)))  :conspiracy:lol
I vote Distilled if I need purified water. $0.80 a gallon at wally world.

As for cleaning the spray bottles, I do it once a week with hot water. Shake it real good and rinse. If there's still gunk, I use ice and shake it good, rinse and fill. I'm mobile so it's always tap water. Never noticed any diff.

Great topic! I just moved into my shop and noticed I have really hard water. Just spraying my peel board which is a mirror would leave a white haze. I’ve since switch to bottle water from my local pure water store and that problem is no longer there. Only thing I noticed was my slip tacks up a lot faster. I think a bit of minerals might be a good thing. I’m going to bring tap water from my house. It has worked great before. Might try Mikes solution from Amazon. Mike from midtown do you have a link?