customer wanting illegal film

Guest thetintshop

Guest thetintshop

had a customer call today wanting 5% on all his side windows and an eyebrow about 10" down. :lol

now, I've been having a really good week. so instead of my usual "I don't do anything illegal, asshat" and then hang-up on them and stay pissed off for the next few hours, I decided to be nice and have some fun.

I said "well, I charge $135 for legal film, and that's with a lifetime warranty. but if you want it done in 5%, it depends."

he says "depends on what?"

I said "on how much money you have."

he sat there for a couple seconds and said "I don't understand."

I said "well, you just asked me to break the law. and I'm wondering what it's worth to you."

he said "how much is it?"

I said "what's it worth to you?"

he said "you're not gonna tell me?"

I said "look, I have an opening at 3:30. if you want it done legal, it's $135."

he said "okay, I can be there."

I said "what's your name and phone number?"

he said "ummmm" and hung up. :lol6

I have caller id. the call came from a funeral home in a town about 20 minutes away. the funeral home is right across the street from the sheriffs office. :trustme

could have just been somebody that worked there. then again, it could have been a sting in the makings.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T DO ILLEGAL. I've had more crap from cops the last few days, I'm wondering if they're finally trying to enforce the law around here.

I don't really want to get to far in to it, but..... The thing that I don't understand is that it would be legal to tint them dark as long as the car wasn't driven on a public road. So if they tell you it's an off-road vehicle or a show car that is trailered, you should legally be able to put whatever they want on it. You pull the car in from the parking lot and then Park it right back out there when your done. when they pick it up, they can do what they want with it. You tinted it legally and they broke the law with it. Shouldn't be our problem.

Guest metint
I don't really want to get to far in to it, but.....  The thing that I don't understand is that it would be legal to tint them dark as long as the car wasn't driven on a public road.  So if they tell you it's an off-road vehicle or a show car that is trailered, you should legally be able to put whatever they want on it. You pull the car in from the parking lot and then Park it right back out there when your done. when they pick it up, they can do what they want with it. You tinted it legally and they broke the law with it. Shouldn't be our problem.

This would be legal only if the vehicle leaves on a trailer. :thumb

Guest thetintshop

don't know about other states, but in texas, if it's stickered and registered, you have to put 35% on it.

I've done a couple show cars and a race car in 5%, and they were legal cause they weren't stickered and registered. and they were all trailered to my shop and left on a trailer.

man this whole deal is juts too weird

ain't that the truth. may just be my paranoia, but what if it's not? :thumb

Guest Blade

Here....if the vehicle is registered then it's legal.

The thing that I don't understand is that it would be legal to tint them dark as long as the car wasn't driven on a public road.
So do ALL your customers only drive their vehicles in parking lots and on private driveways......? :thumb Legal is legal.....Illegal is ILLEGAL. Amazing how people seem to tip toe around this subject. Why don't you just put a sticker under the tint the says "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY." That will make it legal right?????????

TTS...you've had the cops come up in so many different occasions over the last week that it seems too weird to be coincidence.

Guest thetintshop
Why don't you just put a sticker under the tint the says  "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY."  That will make it legal right????????? 

damn blade, quit giving the hacks ideas. :thumb

Archived