legacy issue

Sprfunk

So I tinted a 2015 legacy a couple months ago. Two days after that he came back for a strange wind sound at 35 mph coming from the pass front quarter window.

I went for a test drive with him and inspected the rubber seals. And they all looked fine. I taped up the outside of the window and drove around again. Still made the sound.

He was therefore convinced I didn't create the sound but he never noticed it until after the tint job.

He took it to the dealer and the dealer said it was me that did it, and that I need to replace both front quarters and seals.

I was thinking crap I'm going to end up paying 600 for all of this.

The customer fights the dealer asking to see what I did wrong that could cause that. They made up a lot of stuff but nothing made sense.

The customer looked up the problem on Subaru forums and found out others were having the same problem.

Subaru recently sent out info to all dealers about that problem being somewhat common and Subaru has a fix out that includes new glass and seals. Does not have anything to do with tint.

Protect yourselves.

That was my first idea too, did I mess it up? But everything looked good.

I did cut a very small amount of rubber out but it was small enough that the customer didn't see it looking directly at it and inspecting that area. Clean, straight and sharp.

Nice post funk.

Dealers trying to blame aftermarket companies for vehicle defects has always been a game they have played, but this trend is getting more prevalent as car manufacturers cut corners to bring in a cheaper product to market in this economy.

We usually see this with poor quality demister bars or defects in the glass, but blaming vehicle NVH issues on a tinter is a new low.

Nice pick up, thanks for sharing. :D

My company has also done work for this dealer for years. Hooked up managers with tint and all. Loyalty is not usually an option, even when they are making so much money off of my work. Throw me under the bus for a buck.

That was my first idea too, did I mess it up? But everything looked good.

I did cut a very small amount of rubber out but it was small enough that the customer didn't see it looking directly at it and inspecting that area. Clean, straight and sharp.

One way to check for the possibility of wind noise coming through that window is too run some high pressure water around that area and see if there is any water coming in.  

That's a good idea. My thought was to tape up an area to block the wind. The area that gets taped up and stops the wind leak shows were it's at. I could not stop it. I tried to tape a large area of the door.

I think a large part of the problem is that Subaru is trying to refine it's product. It's trying to make quieter cars all around. They are not there yet.

The funny thing is now that the original problem is fixed he noticed another noise coming from the rear section of the driver door.

I showed a 1/4 inch step up from the area the two doors meet.

That's a good idea. My thought was to tape up an area to block the wind. The area that gets taped up and stops the wind leak shows were it's at. I could not stop it. I tried to tape a large area of the door.

I think a large part of the problem is that Subaru is trying to refine it's product. It's trying to make quieter cars all around. They are not there yet.

The funny thing is now that the original problem is fixed he noticed another noise coming from the rear section of the driver door.

I showed a 1/4 inch step up from the area the two doors meet.

an electric lawn/leaf blower or even a shop/vac on blower function with someone in the car might work   :dunno  an air nozzle on a compressor will also do the trick like Ocala suggested, but I would listen for air leaks more that look for water.   :twocents

Edited by Bham