Ceramic film is a gimmick in real world situations

I have 2 cars, one with 35% dyed film, one with 35% ceramic film.

Both cars are parked outside 24/7.

Both cars are equally hot, and with the sun shining through the side windows, I don't feel any crispier in my dyed film car.

I just don't feel any significant difference.

Anyone disagree?

"Newton’s Law of Cooling states that the rate of temperature of the body is proportional to the difference between the temperature of the body and that of the surrounding medium", so we can say that the temperature of the body approaches that of its surroundings as time goes.

All this means is your car isn't completely covered in ceramic window film or film in general, so it's just a hunk of metal sitting in direct sunlight for a long time. Regardless of what film you put on your windows the heat will enter through other

parts of your car (e.g metals, body kit) when left outside in the sun for a lengthy amount of time, so over time the car will heat up to the same temperature with film or not, all ceramic film does is significantly reduce that time that it takes to heat

up to that point (max temperature)as well as protect interior and last much longer fading wise.

It is also assumed you will lose the heat/glare reduction over time as your film breaks down, this breakdown process is far more rapid in dyed films, so you will lose the initial heat/glare reduction quickly whereas ceramic films will keep those

initial values muchmuch longer (not bagging dyed films btw).

The purpose of window film is comfort while driving with added interior protection, let's say your car was parked in your garage over night, this would make the initial temperature room temperature. Now you drive it outside on a hot day (35

degree's Celsius) withno window film, you will probably immediately notice the heat due to no protection, whereas with a ceramic film you will be blocking out 50% + of the heat entering through your windows. Since the initial temperature

wasn't hot to begin with, you will be able tomaintain that cool feeling for significantly longer.

Basically all window film does is maintain a cool environment inside your car by reducing the heat coming in through all windows as well as the direct heat that hits you through the driver's window, but if your car is left outside in 35 degree

Celsius heat for a longtime (e.g work, so roughly 8 hours) then it won't matter what film you have as the heat will enter through other area's of the car and your car will reach its max temperature regardless. So you wont receive the true

benefits of the window film (besides interiorprotection) until your car's inside environment has become cool, although the film will still reject the incoming heat and will increase the cooling rate dramatically, to get that "cool" feeling i think you're

wanting you will need to either start with an initially coolenvironment (park in shade) or what i did as i always parked directly in the sun at work was turn the air con on for a few mins until inside the car was comfortable and then just turn it off,

this way i could really reap the benefits of the film by starting with a nice

temperature and then having a film to keep that nice temperature significantly longer.

Btw I'm an ex window tinter so i have no bias for any film, use whatever film you like :D.

P.S  who loves the word significantly, i sure do.

Edited by smiley

Good info to have.  Ceramic seems to be a nice option if you are willing to spend the money and maybe your lifestyle fits the heat resistance whatever?  But the  more I read, there are a lot of nice films out there, ie carbon, hybrid, etc that will be more than sufficient for most people for half the price.

Good info to have.  Ceramic seems to be a nice option if you are willing to spend the money and maybe your lifestyle fits the heat resistance whatever?  But the  more I read, there are a lot of nice films out there, ie carbon, hybrid, etc that will be more than sufficient for most people for half the price.

You obviously haven't experienced driving around with a nice ceramic film on your windows during a sunny day.....    It is well worth the $$ :thumb

Stuff like this just cracks me up.

You have a tin can with glass sitting in direct sunlight with no means of cooler air inside and it is expected to stay cooler when you jump into it at the end of the day. 

In old fart terms(myself) solar film reduces heat from entering the cabin by absorption and reflection. Auto films typically absorb more heat than reflects due to the restrictions of reflectivity in auto film laws. A solar screen on a building does the same thing, absorbs heat instead of reflecting heat. It needs the wind to remove the heat in order for the material to work.

When you fire that vehicle up and start moving, the cabin will cool much faster with window film verses plain old glass. When you are at a stoplight you can feel the warmth developing, once you start moving it goes away. That is the job of the window film.

Keep in mind the windshield is covering 1/4 of the glass space on a vehicle. Without film on that glass, might as well fry a few eggs while it sits in the parking lot. That way you can have a snack on the way home.

Good info to have. Ceramic seems to be a nice option if you are willing to spend the money and maybe your lifestyle fits the heat resistance whatever? But the more I read, there are a lot of nice films out there, ie carbon, hybrid, etc that will be more than sufficient for most people for half the price.

You obviously haven't experienced driving around with a nice ceramic film on your windows during a sunny day..... It is well worth the $$ :thumb

Well no and even if i did...no. I roll my windows down and havent even used A/C in years. Lol