Ceramic film is a gimmick in real world situations

Hi Backwoods,

No need to visit the eye doctor!  We have all the films in the warehouse 04/18/32/38/42/46/50/70 but not all the VLTs are on both sites right now.  The admins have the data update request and it should be any day now.

If we can help with processing an order - please call us at 800.FILM.NOW     (800)345-6669 or shoot me an email and I will help any way I can.

Thanks & regards,

Howard

I really have no skin in this ceramic game, but I think there should be a more involved test method that is designed to show real world conditions that we see in the field. For example, window film can only do 3 things with light and heat. Absorb, transmit or reflect. That's it nothing else. If a film is very light and non reflective it is going to be absorbing heat in order to reduce SHG. This is what the ceramics do. These films heat up faster and hold heat longer than many films with similar TSER of the reflective segment. So how is this longer duration of heat accounted for inside a car ? A warm window is essentially a radiator, giving off its heat to the inside of the car.

A big reason that any absorptive film (Including plain old dyed film) reduces heat in a car is because when the car is moving, convection is increased, pulling the heat away from the car rather than into it. It's also the reason why film generally performs lower on dual pane windows than on single pane windows.

I really have no skin in this ceramic game, but I think there should be a more involved test method that is designed to show real world conditions that we see in the field. For example, window film can only do 3 things with light and heat. Absorb, transmit or reflect. That's it nothing else. If a film is very light and non reflective it is going to be absorbing heat in order to reduce SHG. This is what the ceramics do. These films heat up faster and hold heat longer than many films with similar TSER of the reflective segment. So how is this longer duration of heat accounted for inside a car ? A warm window is essentially a radiator, giving off its heat to the inside of the car.

A big reason that any absorptive film (Including plain old dyed film) reduces heat in a car is because when the car is moving, convection is increased, pulling the heat away from the car rather than into it. It's also the reason why film generally performs lower on dual pane windows than on single pane windows.

From what I understand, the reason why film has a lower performance spec on dual pane glass compared to single pane, is because dual pane already has 4 reflective sides per unit to help reflect heat and insulate, where single pane glass only has 2 reflective sides per unit and is thinner. You can also look at specs on single pane, factory tinted glass and see that the film will not show a performance as well as if the glass was clear. 

Guest Agee the ceramic doesn't
On 4/5/2015 at 11:22 PM, pman said:

I have 2 cars, one with 35% dyed film, one with 35% ceramic film.

Both cars are parked outside 24/7.

Both cars are equally hot, and with the sun shining through the side windows, I don't feel any crispier in my dyed film car.

I just don't feel any significant difference.

Anyone disagree?

Guest Russell

I had ceramic installed two weeks ago and now regret it.   What I am finding out is that it works as described regarding heat, but it does nothing to block the sun itself.  By that, I mean with other tints I had over years, the tint dims the sun while it is lower in the horizon so much I need not wear sunglasses (side window) Ceramic doesn't provide the same blockage and I'm already planning to have it darkened with normal tint over the top of the ceramic.

11 minutes ago, Guest Russell said:

I had ceramic installed two weeks ago and now regret it.   What I am finding out is that it works as described regarding heat, but it does nothing to block the sun itself.  By that, I mean with other tints I had over years, the tint dims the sun while it is lower in the horizon so much I need not wear sunglasses (side window) Ceramic doesn't provide the same blockage and I'm already planning to have it darkened with normal tint over the top of the ceramic.

What you need is a darker shade which has nothing to do with the type of window film.  Ceramic and non-Ceramic films come in darker shades.  You just chose too light of shade...not the film's fault.  The "Ceramic" part of the film has nothing to do with blocking sunlight...it blocks heat.

Edited by DynamicATL

Guest Woodysgood
On 4/10/2015 at 11:29 AM, vquestfilms.com said:

The most durable of the 2 films wins :twocents

I agree.  Durability is the primary consideration.  The tint shop I've talked to offers a "LIFETIME GUARANTEE" (whatever that actually amounts to?) on all of their tint jobs.

Plus, I have seen two different YouTube videos in which seemingly unbiased folks do their own testing on their own cars, one car tinted ceramic and the other tinted non-ceramic.  The outcome for these tests shows a very small percentage of ceramic tint performance improvement.  I am not going to pay twice as much for a 4 to 6% increase in heat reduction.  Ceramic tints seem to be nothing more than an up-sale gimmick.

Guest Woodysgood
On 11/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, DynamicATL said:

What you need is a darker shade which has nothing to do with the type of window film.  Ceramic and non-Ceramic films come in darker shades.  You just chose too light of shade...not the film's fault.  The "Ceramic" part of the film has nothing to do with blocking sunlight...it blocks heat.

A fellow on YouTube tested the temperature differences between his "standard" tinted car and his ceramic tinted car. 

He used a handheld laser thermometer to read temperatures inside both vehicles by "shooting" the dashes, the door panels and the seats.  He did one test in his garage and the other test in his driveway after both cars sat in the sun for two hours.  GUESS WHAT???   No difference in temperatures for either vehicle, inside or outside.   Maybe ceramic is supposed to block heat better but not in this case.  I think that ceramic is just another up-sell, bait and switch marketing gimmick.