Shrinking - stiff wrinkles

Guest Foogoo

Guest Litespeeds

You need to move the excess film evenly while you are shrinking. It sounds like you have a little too much film in that corner and over heated it. Remember, the film can only shrink so much before it will shrivel up.

Guest metint
metint- so what you're trying to say is that when you are dry shrinking let the heat gun do the moulding???  ,if I dry shrink I shouldn't use my hard card or hand just let the heat gun smooth it out for me?

In dry shrink you let the heat gun do the work... hand or hard card is used only to check progress and should never be swiped across the film further than what has just been heated. Even then you must learn when you have shrunk enough product to allow a swipe across to check without ending up with stiff wrinkles.

Stiff wrinkles can occur from checking too soon... not enough shrink and sticking the film to the surface too soon will show up as these stiff wrinkles. What is important is not to attempt to remove these stiff wrinkles by reapplying heat... it can only make them tighter. It will require lifting the film from its sticking point, reposition the film back to the glass and trying again to rid that area of excess.

Under shrink in dry shrink results in small-medium puffed up areas and stiff wrinkles or puckered spots from checking too soon and over shrink will produce sideways 'smiley' fingers across the film surface, corner edges snapping up, as well as melting when you go to the extreme.

Now if you have stiff wrinkles that have apparently distorted the film beyond transparency... this my friend is over shrink = melting the film.

As a wet shrinker you must lose all you know and do in wet shrink when dry shrinking... the only similarities they have are film and anchor point (such as using an 'H' pattern to secure the film in place before shrinking begins). You no longer work fingers out, you work a wider area all at once, migrating towards film the edge.

Hope this is clear enough to give you a visual in your minds eye... :rollin

Guest ice15

I've had the same problem all week. But finally today I watched someone who actually knows what they're doing. Basically it's too much heat and trying to force the fingers away. If you hold the heat gun a little further away and move a little slower it will work out. You want to relax the film, not force it into a position that it does not want to go in to. This probably makes no sense. Sorry been tinting for only 3 weeks now so don't listen to me :thumb

Guest fimmo

to be honest it's starting to make sense!! plus I looked at the link on dry shrinking and the step by step photos were very good! :evileye just gonna wait now til I have a car that I usually 2 piece and give it a go!!! I'll do anything to do rears in one piece! my last few mini's,punto's etc have all been one piece wet shrinks so I cant complain!! cheers for the advice!!!!!! :lol

Guest fimmo

tried my first back glass dry shrink today!! it went really well!! ended up doing it in two pieces wet! but I'm sure the next one I'll be able to go all the way!! sure enough,let the heatgun do the work and it shrinks pretty much by itself!!!

cheers everybody!!!!!! :inot :inot :evileye

Archived