Court Opens Door To Search Homes Without Warrants

http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/2953483/detail.html

It's a groundbreaking court decision that legal experts say will affect everyone: Police officers in Louisiana no longer need a search or arrest warrant to conduct a brief search of your home or business.

Leaders in law enforcement say it will provide safety to officers, but others argue it's a privilege that could be abused.

The decision was made by the New Orleans-based 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. Two dissenting judges called it the "road to Hell."

The ruiling stems from a lawsuit filed in Denham Springs in 2000.

New Orleans Police Department spokesman Capt. Marlon Defillo said the new power will go into effect immediately and won't be abused.

"We have to have a legitimate problem to be there in the first place, and if we don't, we can't conduct the search," Defillo said.

But former U.S. Attorney Julian Murray has big problems with the ruling.

"I think it goes way too far," Murray said, noting that the searches can be performed if an officer fears for his safety -- a subjective condition.

Defillo said he doesn't envision any problems in New Orleans, but if there are, they will be handled.

"There are checks and balances to make sure the criminal justce system works in an effective manor," Defillo said.

WTF? :mad

Man, I swore I was going to stop posting controversial stuff, but this is over the top :lol

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It starts wit hthat...and only escalades to worse violations of privacy...I'm not even keen on the fact that the average person is videotaped 45 times during a regular average day of going t othe bank, convenience stores, mall , buildings, etc...were so a use to that , we don't even think of it anymore.

Guest thetintshop

here's my view of this. ANYONE, cops included, comes into my home uninvited, gets to meet my 12 guage. I don't give a damn what the law says they can do.

I was working late one night, about 3:00 in the morning, and a cop drove up. I walked over to my desk, where I keep a .45 glock, and grabbed it and stuck it in the back of my pants. I did it where he could see it, and needless to say he didn't stay long. but I still had to ask him to leave. back when that happened, our police chief had just been busted for running a m*th lab. so you never know what's gonna happen when a cop is allowed into your home or business.

I can tell you this, there's ALOT of people that keep guns, especially here in texas. they'll change this law as soon as a few cops get shot.

Guest thetintshop

dude, I live in texas. people can walk around here with them on a holster. :dunno you have to have a concealed handgun license of course. but at your home or business? no law governing that.

Archived