Bringing back the shine on a 79 indy pace car

Guest stang2fix

Guest stang2fix

Guys, I'm trying to get my 79 mustang pace car ready for the big 40th anniversary Mustang show in Nashville. The car is in excellent shape; however, the paint on the hood, roof, and trunk deck is oxidized. The hood also appears to have some grease down in the paint. I purchased an orbital buffer and worked on the car last night. The car color is a gold pewter color.

I tried to start out light, so I purchased so Mirror glaze cleaner wax. In a few minutes, my buffer pad was black, yet the paint surface still didn't feel smoth. The paint also has light and dark swirls in the surface. Apparently, the hood needs more than a cleaner wax.

I've thought about wetsanding the car with 1000 or 2000 grit, but I suspect the paint is pretty thin after a 20 yr old factory paint job.

I've also looked into using some fine grit polishing compound. My paint isn't that bad, but it does feel alittle rough and really doesn't have much shine. The sides of the car look pretty good, so I suspect this is most due to oxidation.

WHat would you guys suggest?

Thanks, I would appreciate any suggestions sent to....

stang2fix@yahoo.com

Thanks, again!

There are many steps you can take between using an orbital buffer and wetsanding. An orbital buffer is used mainly for polishing and is not very aggressive. If you know how to use a high speed buffer then there are a variety of pads, compounds and polishes available.

Do not wet sand the car if you dont have a high speed buffer. An orbital buffer is not aggressive enough to get out the sanding marks and you will be left with them.

You would never wet sand paint that is in the condition he is talking about,there is very little paint there as he described the light and dark swirls ,. :spit Wet sanding is really only used to remove cosmetic blemishes and scratches,if you wet sand paint thats 25 years old and oxidized"original paint at that no clear from factory in 79" you will not have enough paint left to cut out the scratches with compound :thumb You need a product that chemically revives the paint,this will leave enough to bring up a nice gloss if the low points arnt primer starting to show through :spit Paint measuring gauge will determine alot also :spit

Guest Sprinter

a good oil base polish / compound with a hi speed buffer will get great results call a professional mobile detailer and have the car washed and in the shade or garage and have him buff the top surfaces then with your orbital you can maintain the finish, probally only cost about 75 bucks to have this done and done right with no swirls when done. maybe 100 is closer to the mark.

:bling Why cut the paint with oil/polish and rotory that will generate heat when there is not hardly any paint left ,the paint is 25 years old :lol And as far as a mobile detailer you better find one that you know has done work for friends or relatives.If you have a problem :lol A long standing reputable shop that will be there for you to drive to.For general maintenance and washing a reputable mobile detailer is nice for convenience .For severe paint problems I would advice a reputable shop.Enviroment has a lot to do with the quality of work and the quality of the job

Archived