3m Ultra S600 vs. Solar Gard panorama SA8 - residential clear film app

Hi,

I am a customer and I am looking to install window films on all of my home windows.All my windows are dual-pane.

My main purpose is to improve security and slow down break-ins as much as possible. (I understand, films cannot completely stop break-ins, if intruder is determined). 

So far, I got quotes from two vendors: 1 has quoted for 3M Ultra S600. Another has quoted for Solar Gard Panorama SA8

I have three questions and appreciate feedback from experts in this forum:

1. 3M Ultra S600 is 6 mil and Solar Gard Panorama SA8 is 8 mil. How do they compare to each other - as in, which one I should go with ? (Assuming price is not the factor). Again, my main purpose to improve the security. 

2. Second thing, is I have read about attachment systems and Dow 995 etc. However, both vendors have said, they cannot apply that on residential windows (as apparently, there is not enough space for that). My question is - in that case, is it even beneficial at all to apply window films?  Will it improve anything? If it is only marginally going to improve, then that would be a factor, I would like to consider in my decision. (I know, it is hard to qunatify...but if some can help with that, I would appreciate. fOr example, something like, "without film, intruders can smash windows in 5 seconds, with just film, they will need probably 30 seconds and with film+attachment system, it may take them 60-70 seconds)

3. Finally, assuming attachment systems cannot be applied (as I have been told), is there any other option/workaround, for attaching films more firmly to glass/frame?

Thanks in advance, for your feedback

-NNP

I don't know a lot about attachment systems but my guess for them to say that Dow 995 can't be done means they don't want to do it or don't know how to do it properly. Give it a little while longer and I am sure one of the more experienced members will chime in and help point you in the right direction.

Hi,

I am a customer and I am looking to install window films on all of my home windows.All my windows are dual-pane.

My main purpose is to improve security and slow down break-ins as much as possible. (I understand, films cannot completely stop break-ins, if intruder is determined). 

So far, I got quotes from two vendors: 1 has quoted for 3M Ultra S600. Another has quoted for Solar Gard Panorama SA8

1. 3M Ultra S600 is 6 mil and Solar Gard Panorama SA8 is 8 mil. How do they compare to each other - as in, which one I should go with ? (Assuming price is not the factor). Again, my main purpose to improve the security. 

2. Second thing, is I have read about attachment systems and Dow 995 etc. However, both vendors have said, they cannot apply that on residential windows (as apparently, there is not enough space for that). My question is - in that case, is it even beneficial at all to apply window films?  Will it improve anything? If it is only marginally going to improve, then that would be a factor, I would like to consider in my decision. (I know, it is hard to qunatify...but if some can help with that, I would appreciate. fOr example, something like, "without film, intruders can smash windows in 5 seconds, with just film, they will need probably 30 seconds and with film+attachment system, it may take them 60-70 seconds)

3. Finally, assuming attachment systems cannot be applied (as I have been told), is there any other option/workaround, for attaching films more firmly to glass/frame?

-NNP

Hi NNP,

The biggest selling point for the 3M Ultra is their cross hatching patent which basically in short makes it harder to tear than other films on the market.

The IPP Attachment system needs at least 1 inch of frame/recess at a 90 deg angle from the glass to be able to attach to the glass correctly. It may be the case that your frames are too small to be able to use an attachment system of any type. I only say this because if an installer could sell you an attachment system they would likely do so.. I would compare it to "would you like fries with that". It's an extra stream of revenue if you catch my drift?

The bottom line is... Your glass will be far safer with a security film attached than without. Too many false promises are thrown around it seems when it comes to what these types of films can and can not actually achieve.

They will... Improve the strength of your glass, make it harder for your glass to be a break in entry point, add protection from spalding due to explosion or storms. (Spalding is the affect of shards of glass becoming projectiles due to a force or forces on the external of a window/glass), they will cut 99.9% + of the harmful UVA light that will contribute largely to fading and skin damage.

It will not stop bullets. It will not stop someone from getting into your home.

An intruder would need a large hammer or an axe to break through the glass. Also, if the existing glass is laminated, that will drastically improve the strength of the glass and the time it would take to break through it.

My suggestion is if you are not able to apply an attachment system and you are serious about protecting your home, then have all of your glass replaced with laminated/toughened glass.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/Getinted/videos/453722578115574/

Check out the above link if you can?

Here was a test I was personally involved with to show a client using 3M Ultra S600 with IPP attachment system.

First pane was the cheapest plain toughned glass and next pane was the cheapest laminated glass with film and attachment.

No tricks!

I get so many residential calls for this type of application and because of the framing system I simply say it's a waste of money in true security scenarios where attachment systems cannot be used.

Sorry about the poor quality video but this test landed me the job instantly.

Hi,

-NNP

Hi NNP,

The biggest selling point for the 3M Ultra is their cross hatching patent which basically in short makes it harder to tear than other films on the market.

The IPP Attachment system needs at least 1 inch of frame/recess at a 90 deg angle from the glass to be able to attach to the glass correctly. It may be the case that your frames are too small to be able to use an attachment system of any type. I only say this because if an installer could sell you an attachment system they would likely do so.. I would compare it to "would you like fries with that". It's an extra stream of revenue if you catch my drift?

The bottom line is... Your glass will be far safer with a security film attached than without. Too many false promises are thrown around it seems when it comes to what these types of films can and can not actually achieve.

They will... Improve the strength of your glass, make it harder for your glass to be a break in entry point, add protection from spalding due to explosion or storms. (Spalding is the affect of shards of glass becoming projectiles due to a force or forces on the external of a window/glass), they will cut 99.9% + of the harmful UVA light that will contribute largely to fading and skin damage.

It will not stop bullets. It will not stop someone from getting into your home.

An intruder would need a large hammer or an axe to break through the glass. Also, if the existing glass is laminated, that will drastically improve the strength of the glass and the time it would take to break through it.

My suggestion is if you are not able to apply an attachment system and you are serious about protecting your home, then have all of your glass replaced with laminated/toughened glass.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

THanks, GTS for taking time to read and respond to my questions. I sincerely appreciate it.

Frankly, replacing all windows with laminated one will not fit into my budget. So, based on what you mentioned , it seems like apply window security film (without attachment system) still has some benefits (UV protection, improve strength of glass and help in slowing down the intruder). 

https://www.facebook.com/Getinted/videos/453722578115574/

Check out the above link if you can?

Here was a test I was personally involved with to show a client using 3M Ultra S600 with IPP attachment system.

First pane was the cheapest plain toughned glass and next pane was the cheapest laminated glass with film and attachment.

No tricks!

I get so many residential calls for this type of application and because of the framing system I simply say it's a waste of money in true security scenarios where attachment systems cannot be used.

Sorry about the poor quality video but this test landed me the job instantly.

THanks, GTint for taking time to read and respond to my questions. I sincerely appreciate it.

No matter the film attachment isn't a good idea for residential from an aesthetic perspective.

You just need ten seconds before a thief becomes frustrated and moves on. Also, 3M has touted their film as harder to tear and even has shown it through demonstrations using a screw driver to puncture and tear. I came in after the dealer doing this and showed how their product tears as easily when impact occurs quickly.

You need only cut three quarter inch in from the the side at the middle of a sample piece and rip like it was cloth. Do it fast and it will tear just like any other safety film, do it slow and it resists tearing much better than other brands. Thieves and catastrophic events do not occur at a tortoise speed.

The only glass you need to anchor, even if it's a small bead, is those lites containing tempered glass. Annealed will remain in place much better than tempered once broken since it breaks into large pieces the adhesive can hold to and maintains a stronger edge bite into the framing..

And just for the sake of seriousness in break and enter mitigation an 11 mil window film is the least thickness to provide best protection.

I have not installed the 3M 600. However, its widely known through the the industry that they have the haziest and least optically clear security films in the sector. I would require a full size mock up / instillation by each company before you make your decision. Finding out that the view out of your windows is distorted after film instillation, and that certain mfrs consider this to be "normal" , can be very frustrating to say the least.

I got the chance to install some s600 at a school double door entry way,  That film was not hazy looking to me.  I had to look twice to make sure I had installed all the windows.

Archived