Help in selecting the right thickness of safety film

A client needs safety film installed at their office and is unsure of the thickness of film that is most appropriate. The glass is 12mm thick (0.47 inches) and is tempered. They are looking for something that will hold the glass together in case of impact - particularly if someone walks into the glass as there was recently an incident where this happened and there was an injury. We recommended 4 mil or 7 mil thick film but the client wants proof that this is sufficient.

Please let me know if there is a way of calculating the suitable specification of safety film depending on the thickness of glass. Keep in mind that the client is not looking for protection against explosion or smash and grab incidents.

The clients are engineers, so the more in depth an explanation that can be provided the better.

A client needs safety film installed at their office and is unsure of the thickness of film that is most appropriate. The glass is 12mm thick (0.47 inches) and is tempered. They are looking for something that will hold the glass together in case of impact - particularly if someone walks into the glass as there was recently an incident where this happened and there was an injury. We recommended 4 mil or 7 mil thick film but the client wants proof that this is sufficient.

Please let me know if there is a way of calculating the suitable specification of safety film depending on the thickness of glass. Keep in mind that the client is not looking for protection against explosion or smash and grab incidents.

The clients are engineers, so the more in depth an explanation that can be provided the better.

Sounds to me like the engineers made a big miscalculation when they recommended using that thick of glass (tempered) in the design and now they are looking to save their azz. 8 might but 10/11/12-mil would be more suitable and it may even require an anchoring system (connecting filmed glass to frame). Also, you did not state the dimension of the glass in question. If it's a large panel weight would quickly become a factor as a typical sliding door with 3mm glass, 33 x 75 inches can weigh thirty pounds (13kg +/-).

Unfortunately they will have to go on faith as I do not believe any film manufacturer has tested the strength of safety films in holding that thick of glass, only 3 and 6mm.

Didn't know they made a 8 mil auto safety film.

They do but, mostly sold outside the US market.

This is 4mil anti graffity film on a old house window

Yeah right.  :facepalm2

Archived