Expanding Into Automotive

I have made the decision to expand my flat glass operation and open a small, lean auto operation.  We have owned our flat glass business for five years and have really enjoyed it.  We are ready to spur some growth and add much needed infastructure.

A general location has been selected. We are narrowing down properties now. It looks like we will end up with a non-retail, two bay location with a VERY nice office/reception area. The goal is to build a lean, recession-proof shop that can scale with the economy and industry.

The model will be to generate the majority of our leads online (obviously not being in a retial location). We have a great plan in place for this. Our target market will be middle to upper end clientelle (per the demographics of the areas selected).

The tintdude community has been such a great source of information and support for the past five years. I know that many of you have gone back and forth from flat glass to automotive. I would love hear your experiences in going from flat glass to automovite. The things you did not expect. The challenges. The benefits. Really anything you can think of that would be beneficial to me.

Thank you so much for your time!

Tim

I have made the decision to expand my flat glass operation and open a small, lean auto operation.  We have owned our flat glass business for five years and have really enjoyed it.  We are ready to spur some growth and add much needed infastructure.

A general location has been selected. We are narrowing down properties now. It looks like we will end up with a non-retail, two bay location with a VERY nice office/reception area. The goal is to build a lean, recession-proof shop that can scale with the economy and industry.

The model will be to generate the majority of our leads online (obviously not being in a retial location). We have a great plan in place for this. Our target market will be middle to upper end clientelle (per the demographics of the areas selected).

The tintdude community has been such a great source of information and support for the past five years. I know that many of you have gone back and forth from flat glass to automotive. I would love hear your experiences in going from flat glass to automovite. The things you did not expect. The challenges. The benefits. Really anything you can think of that would be beneficial to me.

Tim

First of all , love the logo! Second, seems like you have the right idea going on about "recession proof" shop. It would be nice if you can find a flat glass guy and automotive guy to handle your jobs, or at least help. Some places have they're auto guys in shop and flat guys on the road all the time (if you are a consistent shop). My suggestion to you is start out with auto and go with the flow, once you start and start gaining speed you will find out what you need to do to takle both divisions. Just my .02.

Take Care

Tim

First of all , love the logo! Second, seems like you have the right idea going on about "recession proof" shop. It would be nice if you can find a flat glass guy and automotive guy to handle your jobs, or at least help. Some places have they're auto guys in shop and flat guys on the road all the time (if you are a consistent shop). My suggestion to you is start out with auto and go with the flow, once you start and start gaining speed you will find out what you need to do to takle both divisions. Just my .02.

Take Care

Thank you for the input. I think I will share between the two departments.  This will help me keep my good tinters busy and sharp in both areas until we figure out how things need to be structured.

Tim

Archived