Telling the customer up front

I have found that people, in general, feel comfortable dealing with someone that appears honest. I have always tried explaining the entire process to my customers so that I dont seem 'Shady'.

Today a guy calls says he wants a tint job done, I ask what kind of car, and its an Acura TL '04. I explain to him about the gaskets scratching. I tell him that we have to install a felt strip. The guy asks if there any other way, I say not with a warrenty and thats that. The guy no longer wants to tint the car.

it wasn't price it wasn't the extra money. This guy just did not want the door panels removed. spent 10 mins explaining we do it all the time and there wont be any problems. told him that Acura has the simplest panels to remove and replace. He didn't want to hear it and I cant say I blaim him

So did I do the Right thing by telling the customer over the phone or should I have been a little sneaky and waited until the guy was in door to lay the b*mb

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have found that people, in general, feel comfortable dealing with someone that appears honest.  I have always tried explaining the entire process to my customers so that I dont seem 'Shady'.

Today a guy calls says he wants a tint job done, I ask what kind of car, and its an Acura TL '04.  I explain to him about the gaskets scratching. I tell him that we have to install a felt strip.  The guy asks if there any other way, I say not with a warrenty and thats that. The guy no longer wants to tint the car.

it wasn't price it wasn't the extra money. This guy just did not want the door panels removed.  spent 10 mins explaining we do it all the time and there wont be any problems. told him that Acura has the simplest panels to remove and replace.  He didn't want to hear it and I cant say I blaim him

So did I do the Right thing by telling the customer over the phone or should I have been a little sneaky and waited until the guy was in door to lay the b*mb

That happend to Me Exactly once. I was tinting an A6, ALl you gotta do is take one screw out and the pannel pops up. now this guy went to some steroe shop and their had some speaker installed right after that he came to get the tint, I do the tint normal take out the pannels and do it after I am Done I put the Sticker not to roll the window down for 3-5 days. Now I am explaining him wut to clean the windows after they dry, he noticed some thing chipped by the ride side pannel where the window controls are and he started raising hell. I was :rollin and he was :rollin I am telling him I did;nt do this he is yes you did you take out the Pannel I told me how I t ook it out then he was like OH cuz thier is Only One screw and has NOthing to do the Window Control removing. I ask him if he took to some other place for glass or SOund. he siad yes I and I was like :asshat They the one who did it.

It is good you explained it to him cuz after if some thing f0cks up not by YOu but by some Jerk hes going to blame you. SO it is Nice To explain every thing before. and Check the Car for ANY Unusal Bull Crap it comes with before tinting. :rollin

Guest thetintshop
I have found that people, in general, feel comfortable dealing with someone that appears honest.

oh I beg to differ.

my customers never want the truth. they all want me to lie to them. I'm as honest as they come when it comes to the tint and glass business. and I lose A BUTTLOAD of customers every day, because of this honesty.

you want to sleep well at night, be honest. and poor.

if you have no conscience, lie. tell people what they want to hear, and live in a 5,000 sq ft house and drive a $75K car. 2 of them.

not sure if your understanding where im going with this TTS

When the customer calls should I have been a 'lying scumb bag' and not make any mention of felts, scratching gaskets and door panel removal. then wait for him to drop the car. felt over the gaskets without clearance from the customer. and then deal with the fallout later

-OR-

did I do the"Right Thing" by losing the customer

I feel that I did the wrong by letting the guy get away. like maybe im slipping in my old age :rollin

and dude livin well doesn't make you a bad person and cut those Figures down a bit 3000 sq and 2 $40k cars.

Be well TTS :rollin

I have found that people, in general, feel comfortable dealing with someone that appears honest.

oh I beg to differ.

my customers never want the truth. they all want me to lie to them. I'm as honest as they come when it comes to the tint and glass business. and I lose A BUTTLOAD of customers every day, because of this honesty.

if you have no conscience, lie. tell people what they want to hear, and live in a 5,000 sq ft house and drive a $75K car. 2 of them.

haha that should be easy for me...I was a telemarketer for 18 months and I loved callin texans. You don't happen to have an MBNA card do ya TTS?? :thumb

oh I beg to differ.

haha that should be easy for me...I was a telemarketer for 18 months and I loved callin texans. You don't happen to have an MBNA card do ya TTS?? :thumb

Congrats Skittles YOu are going to Be on Every Texan's Sh!t list on this Board :lol

j/k

my customers don't  want to know the truth.

I'm as honest as they come when it comes to the tint and glass business. and I lose A BUTTLOAD of customers every day, because of this honesty.

I'm like that as well.

I had a woman enquire about domestic tint yesterday and the very first words she uttered were "does my film have a lifetime warranty?" Lifetime on domestic?????????

Nothing else has time to get out of her mouth.....I told here the truth about the scene and she is about to hang up because others have it. :thumb

It's then I dumped on her for being suckered into believing that :lol.

She went away with the idea that some poor sod will write her a form which says so. Get real Mrs. Public but in way I have to feel sorry for her stupidity because that has been shoved down her throat by our out of control film marketers.:)

Devil

I'd prefer sleeping well over being a rich arshole.

I think being honest upfront and telling everything possible about the outcome and little imperfections is very important. It saves a lot of trouble afterwards. It also doesn't mean you are giving up money. It may even bring you money in the long run getting a good name.

Do you want to be the other guy when a customer says " Why didn't the other guy tell me about that?"?

Moving towards the dark side or already there?

Kohler

Guest fimmo

cause the vlt limits changed here,when people come to me for a quote the first thing I do is explain the law! my other competitor doesnt he simply undercuts my price then installs whatever film they want!! and because the police arent bothered about it,they are getting away with it! annoys me but at least I'm being honest and staying on the right side of the law! STAY HONEST! :lol:thumb

I heard u install limo on the front filmo :mad ....no I agree I try to explain every detail to the customer but sometimes think I am too honest with them....when I get a call mrs always says I shud wait till I have them thru the door then that way its harder for them to say no especially after they see my portofolio :jerkit

Archived