My Window Tint Experience: imperfections because of welding chips and

I recently bought a new [used] car. I decided to tint the windows since we have 100* summers here. 

I went with [shop]. The person I spoke with sounded knowledgeable and offered a good price. 

I chose Johnson Ceramic film at 35%. 

The installer finished all the windows in a bit over an hour. After I paid, he turned and said he didn't like the outcome of the rear window and offered to redo it. I didn't notice any imperfections on the rear window, but trusted his judgement and let him redo it. He said the imperfections were due to "welding chips" on the glass.

Once the car was out in the sun, I noticed a lot of imperfections. All of them were minor. I pointed them out to the installer and he said they would go away in about three weeks. He explained to me that "Ceramic film dries from the inside out" and that the majority of imperfections would disappear in three weeks. 

At three weeks few of the imperfections had disappeared. I sent pictures to the installer and he didn't reply.

Here is the result at four weeks. I don't mind how it looks at the edge of the window. I'm bothered by the amount of imperfections that are found elsewhere. 

I contacted the installer today. His reply "I told you it was going to look not so good it's the felt."

H4Riqzv.jpg

4FGpG4u.jpg

7XF78w1.jpg

kGabtmk.jpg

MrWT3rH.jpg

QTrKau8.jpg

URhm4VQ.jpg

PUVEGHe.jpg

ZVQlNG2.jpg

UIdfnI8.jpg

Can this really be cause by "felt" or "welding chips"? Or is this installer error?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi 11011101110,

From my experience I can see no welding spots. The spots on the edge of the wind up windows is felt trapped between the film and the glass during installation. I few spots could be excused, however there are techniques that are used to reduce those spots.

The rear window is a poor job. There is much glue/adhesive left in the glass before the second attempt was made.

I would request that it be done to a better standard, or if that is the best the installer can do, I would be getting my money back and taking it somewhere that has a good rep.

Hope this helps.

That looks like hell.  The only one that might be welding splatter would be the second picture.  hard to know, but when the tint is peeled, a quick run of a razor will show it, especially if you ask him if he can show you what he means.  Seriously, people nit pick a speck here and there and I feel bad.  I don't know how that could have been acceptable.

Just spoke with the installer once again. He was verbally aggressive and ended up hanging up on me. Whenever I tried to speak, he would interrupt and ask "Are you a window tinter?"

He said he has "10 years of experience" and "3000 likes on Facebook."

He said that the defects on the rear window are from my car being old. He said that it was tinted in the past and that there was likely glue residue on the glass. He said that he cleaned the window before installing the film. Because of that, any defects that came up on the tint were "my fault." He said that the only way to ensure that there was no glue on the window was if he removed the film. 

He offered to re-do the side windows, but said that he would not re-do the rear window. 

Hi 11011101110,

From my experience I can see no welding spots. The spots on the edge of the wind up windows is felt trapped between the film and the glass during installation. I few spots could be excused, however there are techniques that are used to reduce those spots.

The rear window is a poor job. There is much glue/adhesive left in the glass before the second attempt was made.

I would request that it be done to a better standard, or if that is the best the installer can do, I would be getting my money back and taking it somewhere that has a good rep.

Hope this helps.

I don't mind the spots on the edge. I dislike all the other defects. 

That looks like hell.  The only one that might be welding splatter would be the second picture.  hard to know, but when the tint is peeled, a quick run of a razor will show it, especially if you ask him if he can show you what he means.  Seriously, people nit pick a speck here and there and I feel bad.  I don't know how that could have been acceptable.

I've had windows tinted before and have never had any issues. I've overlooked defects, but this is too much. 

I'm not really sure what my next steps should be. Should I publish my review/experience with his company name?

Hi 887(binary for your name :lol )

Please do not publish the name of the shop or installer. It's just bad form, and really won't do any good.

But, unfortunate you are going to have to find another shop to fix this. Hopefully if you tell your story, they might give you a break. But be ready to pay for a removal and install.

Do more research and don't get in a hurry. Your car is currently protected. All though it's a bad install. Still protected. This gives you the luxury of finding a more reputable shop that will stand behind their work. Instead of making it your fault.

Good luck.

Hi 887(binary for you name :lol )

Please do not publish the name of the shop or installer. It's just bad form, and really won't do any good.

But, unfortunate you are going to have to find another shop to fix this. Hopefully if you tell your story, they might give you a break. But be ready to pay for a removal and install.

Do more research and don't get in a hurry. Your car is currently protected. All though it's a bad install. Still protected. This gives you the luxury of finding a more reputable shop that will stand behind their work. Instead of making it your fault.

Good luck.

That's one of the reasons I didn't post the name on here. I wanted to give him a chance to redeem himself before I published anything. 

The thing that irked me the most was that he sounded very confrontational and didn't let me speak. I told him I respected his work and would like to write a positive review for him. He said, "Go ahead and post shitty reviews online. I don't care."

The entire exchange was really unprofessional.

Wow. Hate to bash another installer but he sucks! Is the installer also the shop owner?

I believe so. I did some searching and there are two tint companies/entities tied to his phone number. I thought that was a little odd. 

I wouldn't exactly bash him. 

I would post my experience. From start to finish. 

Something like this...

~ professional installation

~ attention to detail (re-did the window because he wasn't satisfied)

~ answered my questions

Three weeks later...

~ ignored when I brought up my concerns

~ blamed me for the defects

~ was verbally aggressive and hung up on me

[attach pictures of tint]

I for one have been called out on here for tint work that was not the greatest.  The customer also made a BBB complaint that no matter what will stain the record.  The threads on here were deleted after it was made right. 

His was nothing compared to yours.  His was minute in comparison to the smallest complaint you have. 

So sorry you are dealing with this.  Sad that the tinter has tinted the back window twice.  He probably left tint glue when he re tinted it and is blaming it on someone else now. 

Print off this thread and take it to him.  Tell him you have actual tinters that will back you. 

There is no excuse for that tint job except a very bad day or someone that should not be tinting.

oh but I have to throw this up.....for fun.... :bmw ....please take it as good fun.  You seriously have a crap job done and deserve to get it replaced.

Archived