E46 3 series rear window

Guest newtinter

Guest newtinter

Hey guys, Im sort of a rookie to tinting but I have learned pretty quick on the 5 or 6 cars I have done. I know how to heat shrink pretty well so now my friend wants me to tint his 2004 bmw 330 coupe. I looked at the rear window and saw that the rear deck is so close to the window that removing it might make the job much easier. What do you recommend? If removing is the way to go then what exactly do I need to do to get that thing out of there.

That's a great question, New Tinter. I did that myself, on the last one I did and It took about an extra hour just to remove and replace the stupid thing.

If you can get away with not removing it, then do. Just remember that the headrests are easily removed and that's the main problem with that window anyway. just pull up firmly on them and they'll pop out. The metal post that holds the headrest in place will come out of the rear deck.

If you do decide to remove the deck, you'll have to lay the rear seatbacks down, remove the speaker grilles, remove the speakers, remove the side panels next to the back window, remove the baby seat anchors, and the black trim piece that covers the front edge of the deck. Possibly a few more things, too. That louvered trim piece comes out after you get the deck out when you remove a few screws.

To get the little black rivets that hold the black trim piece out, get a small, pointed object and push the center pin in, then the rivet will come out.

If he has a navigation system, be sure to use a non metalized film or else he may lose the use of the system.

Guest tint325i

door panels are eay, I do quite alot of these cars, 2 or 3 screws then the rest is just poppers, once they are al out lift panel straight up this will bring it off the big black slider clip in the middle (same as most bmws rangerovers etc) remember to remove this clip from door and fit to rear of door trim before refitting

E46 body rear deck removal is an option I offer to all M customers, they will be most often pay the premium for a custom install. The over all extra access allows a more even dot prep and a smother film cohesion.... looks great too. I don't try to complicate the ci customers with an upsell like this, you know what I mean... :beer ...or... :beer ...then :beer ...resulting in.. :beer

Guest haroldshouseoftint
shoot, just pull the top of the panel back and pull the rubber out, no screws need to be removed.......yeah, that deck sucks, but it's sooo much easier when out.

:dunno:beach

Archived