My .02 of what this industry could use

I have not participated very much on this forum. No real specific reason, but a couple were that I got tired of reading newbie questions and seeing people tinting cars that are clearly illegal in almost every state. I think the manufacturers hold a good deal of the bag on this type of behavior. Some mfrs and distributors will sell to anyone with a credit card. And this is simply polluting the trade. I think that the mfrs should require a certain amount of education be acquired before someone gets their hands on film. A. Minimum of 5 days training in technical data as well as a hands on help if needed. Far far to many guys out there will slap anything on anything, with zero understanding of possible ramifications. Presumably, if a mfr were to require pre training courses, it would likely be a win win for them. They would have better informed people in the field, and fewer bad eggs out there slinging crap. They could also create another revenue stream by imposing a fee for the training. This as well would help weed out the fly by nighters. I know everyone has to start somewhere but if this industry continues to have little or no barrier to entry, We are simply going to continue to see more and more "undesirable" monkeys in the field. .02

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Tom, it is a huge problem. But I do think that it is a problem perpetuated by both sides and then aggravated with capitalism... people who have no experience or skill are always going to start tint companies because the barrier to entry is almost nonexistent and there will always be a MFG/Dist that will run their credit card because there are not enough good companies (dealers) out there to support all of the players in the industry.  

That said, I see one solution: Suppliers should create investment barriers (inventory, training, licensing, etc) to entry as do other established industries. And... dealers should only do business with suppliers who who create prerequisites that will filter out the undesirable elements while encouraging the professional ones to continue to invest. Both sides need to work to clean house. :twocents

So why the hate towards newbie questions? I belive I saw a post from TD himself a while ago that stated that some of the posts are out dated and newer techniques may be available. I like the idea of newbie questions, a few times it has made me think back in the past and use old techniques that I have forgotten about on current/modern vehicles. The forum may have more users if it wasn't for some that respond "Use the search button on the top right corner of the page". Just my .02

Once you require people to take courses and all the other hoopla you want to do it won't matter because you've just created a "black market" for tint. People will get it one way or another. Instead of trying to stop them and being annoyed with "newbie questions" help them understand. Don't be an ***hat. If I'd have been told my first time to use the search instead of being given information along with the search and links I'd have left. We always tell people to be nice to their tinter and you'll get more, maybe we should be nice to each other and give the information needed. Isn't that what this forum really is about?

Once you require people to take courses and all the other hoopla you want to do it won't matter because you've just created a "black market" for tint. People will get it one way or another. Instead of trying to stop them and being annoyed with "newbie questions" help them understand. Don't be an ***hat. If I'd have been told my first time to use the search instead of being given information along with the search and links I'd have left. We always tell people to be nice to their tinter and you'll get more, maybe we should be nice to each other and give the information needed. Isn't that what this forum really is about?

My post was not as much directed toward this forum. It was more directed toward the state of our industry as a whole. In order for this trade to be given any widespread credibility, there needs to be required training and professional standards in place. Those two traits are missing in far to many "tinters" today. Think of it as a trade like electrician or plumber, these guys have spent several months if not years, to learn as a apprentice. They can not pull permits for work without gaining a liscense which they have invested both a significant amount of time and money to hold. Wholesale suppliers. Will not give them trade. Prices without proof of liscense and in some cases insurance with them listed as additional insured. This forces the serious tradesman to strive for achievement and legitimacy.

Window tinting can be like back yard mechanics. There isn't any training requirments that the local part stores have before purchasing a part to fix your own car or even the neighbors car to save or make a few extra dollars when capable of doing the repair instead of having to take it to a ASE certified mechanic. My .02

Window tinting can be like back yard mechanics. There isn't any training requirments that the local part stores have before purchasing a part to fix your own car or even the neighbors car to save or make a few extra dollars when capable of doing the repair instead of having to take it to a ASE certified mechanic. My .02

Sad but true. .. It is 30 years for me this year in the business. We have the same problems today as we had in 1985. It shows that there is no real desire for mfrs to change the status quo. It's unfortunate.

It shows that there is no real desire for mfrs to change the status quo. It's unfortunate.

Even if they all wanted that to happen... unfortunately the industry's numbers do not make it possible. 

$500-600 mil industry and in it you have 100's of suppliers trying to sell as much film as they can to the same xxxx amount of dealers and any fresh face with a credit card.

It shows that there is no real desire for mfrs to change the status quo. It's unfortunate.

Even if they all wanted that to happen... unfortunately the industry's numbers do not make it possible. 

$500-600 mil industry and in it you have 100's of suppliers trying to sell as much film as they can to the same xxxx amount of dealers and any fresh face with a credit card.

Agree.

Archived