My .02 of what this industry could use

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if one should be required to have some certification before becoming a tinter, couldn't the same be said that one should have a college degree in Business before being allowed to own a business? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if one should be required to have some certification before becoming a tinter, couldn't the same be said that one should have a college degree in Business before being allowed to own a business? 

No, more like in HVAC where you have to be licensed (trained) in order to handle refrigerant properly so as to not create a hazard.

No, more like in HVAC where you have to be licensed (trained) in order to handle refrigerant properly so as to not create a hazard.

That's a very good analogy

Once you require people to take courses and all the other hoopla you want to do it won't matter because you've just created a "black market" for tint. People will get it one way or another. Instead of trying to stop them and being annoyed with "newbie questions" help them understand. Don't be an ***hat. If I'd have been told my first time to use the search instead of being given information along with the search and links I'd have left. We always tell people to be nice to their tinter and you'll get more, maybe we should be nice to each other and give the information needed. Isn't that what this forum really is about?

Sorry I missed your first post.

The search tool is up there on the top right

partly because 99% of the questions any newbie will ask have already been asked and answered multiple times.

Why should someone or many someones  take (waste )  their time to research and  post links you can find yourself. :dunno

Mr newbie is often too lazy to do the research themselves and wants the internet to solve their problem cause mommy isn't there to make their mac and cheese anymore.

Here's your trophy for showing up.

Way to many times Mr Newbie only tells a part of the story and expects us here on the forum to get him sorted and then he gets pissy and starts shouting "@$$hat" when they don't get the help they were looking for or someone posts a smart@$$ reply to test for loss of sense of humour.

I field multiple calls every day from people who "just want the film" . I'm not going to tell them :sand  but will point them to the appropriate place in house or to where they will be best served to get a quote or at least some info to be better informed. Sometimes pointing them here :confuse

We have a record button on our phone at the shop and sometimes you just have to save the fun ones.

I have an 18 minute rant on file from a guy who went to a big box store ,bought film that did not fit his window . He decided that because we sell the same manufacturers film that we needed told repeatedly the film in the box he got wasn't big enough for his window that he didn't measure .....the instructions he could not follow suck, he had to buy more  :blah :blah :blah .

After I calmed him down I got him to take down the number of the dealer closest to him and call for a quote . Last I heard hes enjoying the view out of his professionally tinted windows.

I still wanted to tell him to :sand

Yes I often will point out to Mr Newbie that the search tool up there is the most important one they will ever use in my replies to questions and if they don't like it ...well I bet you can guess what I'll say :eyetwitch

Ok :soapbox rant over.... 7 replies after I started typing :unsure: 

Hey all,

I believe we would need to see a collective effort from mannys to installers and everyone inbetween.

It is just as dangerous having people install 5% on a teenagers car as it is to wire a house poorly, or modify a cars engine illegaly.

I think what is alarming is just how bad things are in the window tinting industry. e.g. You might get say 10% of builders do dodgy work, or 10% of electricians do work incorrectly. However, I would guess that 60-80% of all window tinting businesses at some point do illegal installs. And 50% on a regular basis. It has just become the norm.

As Tom mentioned, even to a point where people on TintDude are quite comfortable showing off 5% tint job pictures, and 20% windscreen tinting.

I think that a certication number would be a start. Issued to each to each business owner for each respective 'installer' by the assosiations after knowledge testing. This number would then be used on each warranty form or invoice. One step further would be to register the warranty directly on the suppliers/manufacturers database along with your certification number. This would be further assurance for the customer and limit paperwork.

All this would do is then allow those who have the certification to then promote the fact, and also have the assosiations list and display all certified installers.

Either way, it will take a collective effort. But at the end of the day, the buck stops with us. Installers have the power to stop it, before they install it. So, to say that you just want to give the customer what they want is a bit of a cop out IMO.

Until something changes, our auto tinting industry will never be seen as real, and we will never reduce illegal tint jobs.

Cheers

Fox, you are right, there are many things that newbies can find in the search button. If this was your forum, wouldn't you want other members to give a decent/proper response to someone interested in the game we play and try keeping them around to grow and learn and possibly give us advise one day?

I don't think I've ever "just " said any version of "hey ya tool go use the search button" .

I usually will respond to the question as I perceive it AND point out the search button.

Yes I do want people who are really serious to stick around  and  I do what I can to help but sometimes you gotta just have fun too!

Yes that's me on the floor. Sadly the guy I'm supporting went out on his own. I hope he knows I'll always have a back to stand on!

stolenladderimprovise.jpg

Not only do tinters NOT do illegal tint jobs but we also know that every tinter declares and reports all income, including cash payments. :lol2

You keep talking like that and you may wake up with a Horses head in your bed.

Archived