My .02 of what this industry could use

A big problem I see is people wanting to start a Tinting biz right out of the gate. I would never go start a company (especially a skilled trade) with out experience working in the field. It blows me away when people have never tinted a car or did a buddy's car and now what's to open a shop with $1000. Not sure all the ins and out of how to do it but if we had some sort of say "journeymen" status. Where you had to apprentice under a journeyman for say 2 years before you could order film from a manufacturer, or at least be an authorized dealer of said brand. I don't know just how to go about it, just thinks out of the box.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a couple glasses of wine.......so I'll ask the question... :spit

Who should police our industry.......Us (the dealers) or them (manufacturers/distributors)  ???  What would it realistically take to clean up the image and promote the products, while they are still viable? 

I would say it is up to us, the dealer/installers to be the ones making sure things are done legit. The problem I see is with almost every state having different laws for vehicles and the wide range of shades of film to be offered, how could a manufacturer/distributor really be able to track the film that is being installed on what vehicle? Just a thought, but what if instead of having state laws, they broke it down into regional sections with laws that pertain to those areas?   :twocents

The problem is , that is exactly what's happening now, we are policing ourselves and that has created more issues than it has solved. But, I don't know if I like the idea of mannys policing us anymore then the next guy. What does that leave? The IWFA? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. :dunno 

Thinking out loud here.....If there were enough people (dealers) in the industry that recognize this issue and form a collective, could we get anywhere with that? Would manufacturers align themselves with a "dealer's only association" pushing for validation and possibly accreditation in our industry? Would those involved in this coalition be prepared to not do business with those mannys that won't play ball? On the flip-side would mannys be prepared to deny their services to those not accredited or validated? Would something like this hurt or help our industry and/or devalue what we do currently have in place....like the IWFA? And perhaps the biggest question of all.....is it even realistic to expect a large number of tinters to have a collective thought? :lol     

So many questions and I may not even be asking the right ones....but who would know if I was or wasn't   :confuse   

The problem is , that is exactly what's happening now, we are policing ourselves and that has created more issues than it has solved. But, I don't know if I like the idea of mannys policing us anymore then the next guy. What does that leave? The IWFA? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. :dunno 

Thinking out loud here.....If there were enough people (dealers) in the industry that recognize this issue and form a collective, could we get anywhere with that? Would manufacturers align themselves with a "dealer's only association" pushing for validation and possibly accreditation in our industry? Would those involved in this coalition be prepared to not do business with those mannys that won't play ball? On the flip-side would mannys be prepared to deny their services to those not accredited or validated? Would something like this hurt or help our industry and/or devalue what we do currently have in place....like the IWFA? And perhaps the biggest question of all.....is it even realistic to expect a large number of tinters to have a collective thought? :lol     

So many questions and I may not even be asking the right ones....but who would know if I was or wasn't   :confuse

One glaring problem would be that mfrs have giant machines to keep running and people to pay to do so. Many people know that there are only a couple companies on the planet who have the ability to produce a film from start to finish. They will produce other product for a "reboxer" if the MOQ is met and the customer can stroke a check for it. Who will inevitably compete ..against them fir the dealers business. It is a truly canabalistic business. Don't hold your breath waiting for change from the top down.

All makes sense but obviously some brands see value in doing business with established/serious dealers. Is there really that much of a market for fly-by-night tinters? :dunno 

Was hoping to see some more of the regulars and those positioned higher on the food chain actively posting on this topic......oh well, probably a lost cause anyway.  :unsure:

All makes sense but obviously some brands see value in doing business with established/serious dealers. Is there really that much of a market for fly-by-night tinters? :dunno 

Was hoping to see some more of the regulars and those positioned higher on the food chain actively posting on this topic......oh well, probably a lost cause anyway.  :unsure:

Yes and yes

Not 100% sure on who the "higher up" you are referring too, but if it is who I am thinking of, I am sure he will respond tomorrow morning when he is not on corporate time and has access to his personal computer. 

Archived