S&S film install pricing

Guest denvertinter

Guest denvertinter

I've been doing flat glass for a while (as the company owner - not the installer). Sold lots of the stuff, but not much S & S. I got a call today from a glass company for a bid (that they're going to inflate a little of corse).

I called my local 3*insert letter here* dist (mainly b/c the 4 ml was spec'd for the gig) to check the film price. At about 1.50 a square, not too bad when compared to other films from the same mfr.

Since he was going to bump the price for his fair share, I decided to be reasonable in case he decides to throw some other jobs my way and bid it @ $5.00 a sq. I've heard of some shops getting around $10/psf or more. Is this about the going rate? - granted your specific market/competition will vary.

Guest metro jim

I would price jobs based onn the job not just the rate. remember that S&S takes a bit more work getting it up, more experienced installers, longer drying time 2months is not unreasonable for larger jobs. also the excessive cost of film and the backache from lugging it in for any job under 500 sq ft you should be around 6.5 comm and upwards of 8ish residentail. why do it for less, its not less work?

Most contractors of the larger variety will have software with retail pricing for each tiny component of the construction work. Have one look up the line items "blast resistant film" and "structural sealant" and then from the price, deduct their percentage to arrive at your rate. Most use 20% or at least 10% as their profit margin on your work. If you can get it all, great!

Guest metint
I would price jobs based onn the job not just the rate. remember that S&S takes a bit more work getting it up, more experienced installers, longer drying time 2months is not unreasonable for larger jobs. also the excessive cost of film and the backache from lugging it in for any job under 500 sq ft you should be around 6.5 comm and upwards of 8ish residentail. why do it for less, its not less work?

2 months drying time is contingent upon whether it is solar safety or clear... installed properly using minimal slip solution and the right squeegee can dramatically reduce dry time (e.g. 2 weeks for 15 mil clear no sun exposure).

Many installers are notorious for approaching safety film installation as if they were installing res/comm film... not the same... once you get above 6 mil begins the need for proper technique and tools.

One can install too fast and essentially hydroplane across the film surface leaving behind much water, which extends the dry time and creates a consumer concern leading to call back. :shock