Sales/Estimating Training For Commercial & Residential

My husband's family business has been in Commercial & Residential tinting since 1980. My in-laws are now retiring, with my husband (& I) taking over. I am training and learning the film-to-glass biz from each of them (learning both the business/accounting end, as well as the Sales/Estimating end) but in the down-time I have (and also in some of my spare time) I'd, ideally, love to find a Film "Sales"/"Estimating" course or training class that would help further my knowledge of the industry (for instance, an understanding of different types of glass; and how the various technology behind these films work to provide their designed output; etc etc). As I mentioned, I'm learning from my husband & his family, but I think a course or two in addition to their help would be immensely helpful (& also because I see how much my in-laws' knowledge and expertise around their craft makes them that much more successful when selling jobs!) We are with Llumar/Vista and it doesn't look like any of the training classes they offer are geared toward more of a "Sales" or in-depth industry lesson, but rather learning how to install. Does anyone happen to know if any "Film Industry Sales" type courses are out there, or can anyone give me me some advice on what resources I might find helpful?? Is there any particular way you have had a Seller/Estimator trained to learn the business particulars? (and, if no "Sales" classes happen to exist, do you think I'd find any of the "Installation" courses very helpful?? Enough to take one even if I will probably never be picking up my husbands Olfa Knife or Blue Max to apply film down the line? haha) Sorry for the long post, but I'd LOVE any advice or insight you guys might have on this topic for me!!! Thank you!

I think learning how to tint would be beneficial. You don't have to be a pro at it in order to sell, but I think it can't hurt to know how to do it... That way you can true appreciate what goes in to applying film, which hopefully you will be able to use as you sell the service to your customers. 

My husband's family business has been in Commercial & Residential tinting since 1980. My in-laws are now retiring, with my husband (& I) taking over. I am training and learning the film-to-glass biz from each of them (learning both the business/accounting end, as well as the Sales/Estimating end) but in the down-time I have (and also in some of my spare time) I'd, ideally, love to find a Film "Sales"/"Estimating" course or training class that would help further my knowledge of the industry (for instance, an understanding of different types of glass; and how the various technology behind these films work to provide their designed output; etc etc). As I mentioned, I'm learning from my husband & his family, but I think a course or two in addition to their help would be immensely helpful (& also because I see how much my in-laws' knowledge and expertise around their craft makes them that much more successful when selling jobs!) We are with Llumar/Vista and it doesn't look like any of the training classes they offer are geared toward more of a "Sales" or in-depth industry lesson, but rather learning how to install. Does anyone happen to know if any "Film Industry Sales" type courses are out there, or can anyone give me me some advice on what resources I might find helpful?? Is there any particular way you have had a Seller/Estimator trained to learn the business particulars? (and, if no "Sales" classes happen to exist, do you think I'd find any of the "Installation" courses very helpful?? Enough to take one even if I will probably never be picking up my husbands Olfa Knife or Blue Max to apply film down the line? haha) Sorry for the long post, but I'd LOVE any advice or insight you guys might have on this topic for me!!! Thank you!

Numerous times I have suggested that Lulu / Eastman develop or offer a advanced sales training program. Product knowledge can be learned but sales itself, is a craft that needs to be continually refined. Sales itself can have more to do with psychology than actual nuts and bolts. Good sales people use multiple subliminal gestures at different times to influence decisions.

Eastman (LLumar/Vista) currently does not offer sales training to my knowledge however, the above posts are spot on in terms of needs in selling. Nothing got me worse than to have someone sell for me and then get to the site to find they had no idea the installation needs that could have been noted and useful to any installer.

Check in with the IWFA(.com) for information toward learning. They have resources available that might assist you in your quest for learning and they have a couple of booklets available for understanding the basics in film construction, solar energy and how film performs. Also, the IWFE conference held annually offers seminars that might be useful toward continued education.

If you are IT and Tech savvy you could always download Window 6 software from LBNL's website. It is a complicated program but, very useful in producing performance numbers from window and glazing unit combinations.

Do not hesitate to utilize tech support at Eastman. A couple of names to know are Joe Richard, Tech Marketing Engineer and Steve Debusk, Global Architectural Manager (and an energy engineer). These are my go to guys. :thumb  

Steve Debusk is my bosses go to guy when working on big commercial projects. If the company is already using Llumar/Vista, there shouldn't be any issue contacting the film rep for your area to come in and give a helping hand. If that becomes an issue, pm me and let me know and I'm sure I can put a call out to someone that can help.

s2s.. With all do respect. SDB and JR are the "nuts and bolts guys. I would not consider them a huge help in the day to day sales field. That's not their job description. JR is a technical guy and SDB is energy modeling. I think what the OP was looking for is a program to help in day to day sales training. .02

Steve Debusk is my bosses go to guy when working on big commercial projects. If the company is already using Llumar/Vista, there shouldn't be any issue contacting the film rep for your area to come in and give a helping hand. If that becomes an issue, pm me and let me know and I'm sure I can put a call out to someone that can help.

Steve is one of the best

However Joe Richard is a guy for the simple questions on F2G

Archived