Need advice on remove tint

Hi all. Newbie here. Not a pro tinter, just a DIY'er. I took my daughter's new to her car to have the windows retinted and was quoted $250 to remove old tint & install new. I figured I would pay myself $100 and remove the tint myself. My question is on the defroster. I saw a dude on YouTube use Rust-oleum decal & adhesive remover. Just sprayed on and peeled the film & glue right off. I'm unable to find the Rust-oleum locally but see Gila Window tint remover and Permatex decal & adhesive remover. The Gila product comes with a scrapper so that scares me with the defroster. It also says to cover the window with a garbage bag. I was wondering if any of you guys have used the rustoleum or permatex products without needing to scrape glue residue. I don't have a steamer but would be willing to make the investment if that's the best way to go. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the back glass here is a video of me removing with the bagging technique. Simply spray ammonia on the film and place a trash bag over it to lock in moisture. Let it sit in the sun with the heat on for about 30 minutes. I cut the trash bag on the outside and transfer to the inside. Be sure to use a stainless steel knife to cut otherwise it will scratch the glass.

Guest temonunez26

Wow guys sometimes I wonder where the film industry is going when we're just telling people how to do our jobs. I'm seriously considering a career change because of the shit.

Wow guys sometimes I wonder where the film industry is going when we're just telling people how to do our jobs. I'm seriously considering a career change because of the shit.

So you mean to tell me that you like removing film? Hell, I'll give my customers what advise I can if they want to tackle the removal of old, crusty window film so I don't have to.  

Archived