Laminated Front Door Glass

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I have been lucky so far and when needing to shrink the film on the window I haven't had any issues. I would definitely be careful on applying heat in one area for too long. Might want to try bouncing back and forth from one finger to another until the film lays flat. Typically laminated glass is not heat treated just like windshields.

:yeah And for noise reduction.

When heat forming use the snap method (lift and heat 'dry' bottom edge only) and there's no worries. :thumb  

Yeah, but more concerned on how much heat can be used if a spot on the outside needs to be heated? Has anyone had a newer door glass(say 2009- on) break on them from heating the outside?

When heat forming use the snap method (lift and heat 'dry' bottom edge only) and there's no worries. :thumb

Yeah, but more concerned on how much heat can be used if a spot on the outside needs to be heated? Has anyone had a newer door glass(say 2009- on) break on them from heating the outside?
Nope...not yet

I guess I have been lucky so far and when needing to shrink the film on the window I haven't had any issues. I would definitely be careful on applying heat in one area for too long. Might want to try bouncing back and forth from one finger to another until the film lays flat. Typically laminated glass is not heat treated just like windshields.

Right on.. :thumb Just wondering if by some chance the manufacturers had strengthened the laminate glass on doors for that exact reason.. We all know how easy it is to break a WS with too much heat :facepalm2

As far as I know it is manufactured the same way. These newer vehicles are getting a lot easier to pull panels or pop the top part of them giving you access to pull the inner sweep making it easier to install the film without shrinking it.

Nope...not yet

Awesome , me either thank goodness lol.. That's what makes me wonder cause there have been a few times I've had to get a door glass pretty hot that its scary sometimes. But like Ocala said, its always best to NEVER leave the heat in one spot for too long!

Archived