Laminated Front Door Glass

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I have been lucky so far and when needing to shrink the film on the window I haven't had any issues. I would definitely be careful on applying heat in one area for too long. Might want to try bouncing back and forth from one finger to another until the film lays flat. Typically laminated glass is not heat treated just like windshields.

Right on.. :thumb Just wondering if by some chance the manufacturers had strengthened the laminate glass on doors for that exact reason.. We all know how easy it is to break a WS with too much heat :facepalm2

Unlikely, but plausible. The edges are sensitive. Friend's shop used a gasket wizard to install film below the seal and snapped the lami-glass when the metal of the wizard put pressure on the glass edge. Mercedes glass to boot!

If you gotta focus heat gun to one particular spot, do it carefully on the filmed side and protect any nearby materials with a five way, Edge or large hard card.

:yeah And for noise reduction.

When heat forming use the snap method (lift and heat 'dry' bottom edge only) and there's no worries. :thumb

Yeah, but more concerned on how much heat can be used if a spot on the outside needs to be heated? Has anyone had a newer door glass(say 2009- on) break on them from heating the outside?
An installer at my old shop cracked one on a 2003-2007 ram. He didn't realize the glass was laminated and heated the glass from the outside trying to push out some imperfections.

I've shrunk the film on the outside but after I install if I need heat I'll only use heat on the inside.

When heat forming use the snap method (lift and heat 'dry' bottom edge only) and there's no worries. :thumb

Yeah, but more concerned on how much heat can be used if a spot on the outside needs to be heated? Has anyone had a newer door glass(say 2009- on) break on them from heating the outside?
An installer at my old shop cracked one on a late 2000 ram. He didn't realize the glass was laminated and heated the glass from the outside trying to push out some imperfections.

I've shrunk the film on the outside but after I install if I need heat I'll only use heat on the inside.

You sure the glass was laminated? In 15 years I have never seen that body style truck with laminated front glass.

An installer at my old shop cracked one on a late 2000 ram. He didn't realize the glass was laminated and heated the glass from the outside trying to push out some imperfections.

You sure the glass was laminated? In 15 years I have never seen that body style truck with laminated front glass.
Yes sir, don't remember the exact year but there were a couple years that they offered laminated glass.

I know the Rams went away from it the last few years.

This is a picture of a Dodge Ram cummins 2003-2007 cracked door glass

post-37617-0-73852400-1444266638_thumb.j

Archived