Laminated Front Door Glass

Not going to try getting in a pissing match, but your post said late 2000, not late 2000s so that is what I went off of.

But a pissing match over the Internet is so fun :spit

Edited it, hopefully that clears things up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yeah And for noise reduction.

When heat forming use the snap method (lift and heat 'dry' bottom edge only) and there's no worries. :thumb

Yeah, but more concerned on how much heat can be used if a spot on the outside needs to be heated? Has anyone had a newer door glass(say 2009- on) break on them from heating the outside?
An installer at my old shop cracked one on a late 2000 ram. He didn't realize the glass was laminated and heated the glass from the outside trying to push out some imperfections.

I've shrunk the film on the outside but after I install if I need heat I'll only use heat on the inside.

You sure the glass was laminated? In 15 years I have never seen that body style truck with laminated front glass.
Yes sir, don't remember the exact year but there were a couple years that they offered laminated glass.

I know the Rams went away from it the last few years.

This is a picture of a Dodge Ram cummins 2003-2007 cracked door glass

If I'm not mistaken (from all the years of pattern making for an automated cutting system) it was the 2006 model year that had lami in Ram truck fronts.

Had a Cadillac in last week that had laminated on all 4 doors. :crazy First I have seen that before, I snap all my rolldowns on the peel board anyway so no risk there. :thumb

I don't think there is much risk in just the shrinking of the film on the outside..
I shrink on laminated roll ups all the time. The Maserati I worked on had all laminates including the quarters and rear window.

If I do have to heat out a blemish or crease. I do it from the inside.

You can shrink the film on the windows no problem, just don't blast the heat on one section for like a minute or anything like that. Just like ocala said just keep the gun moving.

I even heat up the top edge of the window on the outside of the glass a bit with no issues. I only do that because i generally tint right to the beveled edge of the window so I always give some heat before I roll it up into the frame

Problem with auto film is there really isn't any tech specs for what is safe or not for laminated glass. Look at the specs for the old Sky80 which is now Air80. It really shouldn't be safe for laminated glass but get's installed on front windshields everyday. :dunno

:yeah And for noise reduction.

When heat forming use the snap method (lift and heat 'dry' bottom edge only) and there's no worries. :thumb

Yeah, but more concerned on how much heat can be used if a spot on the outside needs to be heated? Has anyone had a newer door glass(say 2009- on) break on them from heating the outside?
YES, one time and I have never did that again!

Archived