frameless window dot matrix issue

Hey guys,

Sorry to post again... Looking for some thoughts on how the tint over my BMW 428i dot matrix turned out (5 days drying in the sun):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lbxdivrel6iqpv/AACRc4NH3cNY5Ku5flvQdwj4a?dl=0

The shop has a huge sign about issues with dot matrix, but their tech said it would come out uniform on my car since the matrix isn't that wide (~1 inch). The owner of the shop said that the non-uniform look is the best they can do and it's random how it will turn out. Tinting was $300 for Suntek CXP. The shop was highly rated on Yelp. I emailed them to see if there was anything they could do. Can they smooth this out to look more even? I'm fine with the silvery look if it's uniform. Maybe have them cut the tint off the matrix and replace with black vinyl as the backup? Can tint be cut away like that or do they need to redo the full window?

Thanks for the info!

Hey guys,

Sorry to post again... Looking for some thoughts on how the tint over my BMW 428i dot matrix turned out (5 days drying in the sun):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lbxdivrel6iqpv/AACRc4NH3cNY5Ku5flvQdwj4a?dl=0

The shop has a huge sign about issues with dot matrix, but their tech said it would come out uniform on my car since the matrix isn't that wide (~1 inch). The owner of the shop said that the non-uniform look is the best they can do and it's random how it will turn out. Tinting was $300 for Suntek CXP. The shop was highly rated on Yelp. I emailed them to see if there was anything they could do. Can they smooth this out to look more even? I'm fine with the silvery look if it's uniform. Maybe have them cut the tint off the matrix and replace with black vinyl as the backup? Can tint be cut away like that or do they need to redo the full window?

Thanks for the info!

For one the photobox headline is erroneous, it's not bad tint.

What you see in those areas is a physics phenomena of raised dot material causing the film to 'tent' over the glass surface in between each dot. Some turn out uniform, others do not. Film products tend not to flex well and many top quality products have an adhesive coating weight (or thickness) that does not allow reaching the glass in between. There is a fine balance needed in coating weight to achieve clarity and longevity. The trade off is having to deal with these type of 'bad tint' perspectives in not knowing the challenges tinters face or the reality of why the look occurs.

Like Ocala said, run your finger slowly over it pushing it down.  This should help it look more uniform.  The dots are raised off the glass and since there is very little room in between, the film can't suction down to give an uniformed look.  It is a crap shoot on how the final outcome will be depending on the dots and the film used.  Every car owner that has a DOT Matrix deals with the same issue.  Simply put, there is no 100% fix and no your not the first person not to be happy with it.

Archived