New to tinting, is it required to shrink tint for these windows??

Hey guys I'm new to tinting  :D I'm 16 years old and I have an Acura CL 2001, I was just wanting to tint the back two windows (they aren't full windows, they're more like triangle windows) and I tried installing the tint for those back two windows last week but my only issue was I was getting these finger bubbles at the very bottom and I couldn't remove them so I just removed the tint all together and am aiming to redo it this monday. What I didn't do was shrink the tint for the two windows and I was wondering if thats the reason those finger bubbles occurred or what? Any help would be appreciated and if I have to shrink it with a heat gun what should the temperate be set at? 1000 degrees or 750? Thanks! :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shrinking is done by look and feel, those small quarter windows i wouldnt shrink.

just bump and squeege everything out while dividing it out in 4 directions. use a hard card wrapped in paper to push water out

Thank you, is there any reason why I got the fingers and is there a way to prevent them for when I do the job again on monday?

Hey guys I'm new to tinting :D I'm 16 years old and I have an Acura CL 2001, I was just wanting to tint the back two windows (they aren't full windows, they're more like triangle windows) and I tried installing the tint for those back two windows last week but my only issue was I was getting these finger bubbles at the very bottom and I couldn't remove them so I just removed the tint all together and am aiming to redo it this monday. What I didn't do was shrink the tint for the two windows and I was wondering if thats the reason those finger bubbles occurred or what? Any help would be appreciated and if I have to shrink it with a heat gun what should the temperate be set at? 1000 degrees or 750? Thanks! :D

It's more than likely just wicking up water from below.

If the piece of tint you cut is to big it will finger up or not clean enough,too much soap in water,,wrong squeege pattern will create them

I'll try using baby shampoo instead of the old soap I used and hopefully that'll work much better. For the squeegee pattern would you recommend starting from the center and and moving the water on the right side to the right side of the window and vice versa? Or go in just one direction?

Hi austinalexan,  I just did one of those today.  The rear windows have a slight curve to them but not enough to require shrinking.  The seals are tight around those windows and tend to hold water.  If you are using a good film with a good adhesive and your slip solution is not to soapy, the small couple of fingers that pop up should lay down after drying the edges. 

Wrap a hard card in a paper towel and go around all the edges after you have completed install.  You don't have to press real hard during this, this is just to dry the water from around the edges.  If you still have some at the bottom, then like tintcracker said, just use a paper towel to soak up all the water out of seal.  Once dry, everything should lay down fine.  

Hi austinalexan,  I just did one of those today.  The rear windows have a slight curve to them but not enough to require shrinking.  The seals are tight around those windows and tend to hold water.  If you are using a good film with a good adhesive and your slip solution is not to soapy, the small couple of fingers that pop up should lay down after drying the edges. 

Wrap a hard card in a paper towel and go around all the edges after you have completed install.  You don't have to press real hard during this, this is just to dry the water from around the edges.  If you still have some at the bottom, then like tintcracker said, just use a paper towel to soak up all the water out of seal.  Once dry, everything should lay down fine.  

What type of hard card would you recommend for the job?

Archived