What does the future hold for tinting in aus?

So recently with it coming into peak season, I have been getting heaps of calls and doing lots of quotes. I keep hearing the same things daily "im just calling around for prices" then they call back " XXXX tint will do it for $XX cheaper, id rather take it to you but can you get closer to their price"

I also have been told by a few flat glass customers that i was the most expensive quote and for the film i was quoting on i was not quoting that high at all. (still got the jobs because of my rep and good looks)

So with inflation around us with everything from rent, consumables & films etc, why does the industry seem to be going backwards with pricing?

I don't know how the cheap guys are making a decent living, i struggle myself at times.

At least there's still some customers who are happy to pay a fair price for top quality work with quality films, i have learnt to keep away from the ones who want you to do it for next to nothing, first to complain then demand refunds over 1 spec of dust lol.

For any consumers reading this, remember you often get what you pay for so choose your window film installer carefully if you want quality that lasts.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So recently with it coming into peak season, I have been getting heaps of calls and doing lots of quotes. I keep hearing the same things daily "im just calling around for prices" then they call back " XXXX tint will do it for $XX cheaper, id rather take it to you but can you get closer to their price"

I also have been told by a few flat glass customers that i was the most expensive quote and for the film i was quoting on i was not quoting that high at all. (still got the jobs because of my rep and good looks)

So with inflation around us with everything from rent, consumables & films etc, why does the industry seem to be going backwards with pricing?

I don't know how the cheap guys are making a decent living, i struggle myself at times.

At least there's still some customers who are happy to pay a fair price for top quality work with quality films, i have learnt to keep away from the ones who want you to do it for next to nothing, first to complain then demand refunds over 1 spec of dust lol.

For any consumers reading this, remember you often get what you pay for so choose your window film installer carefully if you want quality that lasts.

Great post mates. I think we are all plagued somewhat by the cheapo back yard style (some have workshops!) flash in the pan style tinters who have no business savvy and don't worry about a sustainable industry, same people are more than happy to do illegal installs too. It's hard to back up your reputation and justified price when there are bills to pay and mouths to feed!

if i were to drop my prices to the lower level id be forced to buy cheaper film and even then i would make more money at kfc being a derppp

im not real worried at the moment as my workload is pretty busy right now but i fear the price wars will bring the whole industry down in the future.

today i had a call about a retint on a near new car the price i gave them was  reasonable for remove and retint as they wanted a better film and better install than the dealer tint but they said they had other quotes for cheaper than i charge just to tint that car with factory glass. i leave the bargaining for paddys markets or thailand, if you want me to match the cheapest guy but get my product and my good workmanship then it aint gonna happen.

booked another job in who at first said a competitor was cheaper and they wanted me to do the job at the competitor price, i declined but got a call back to book it in at my price lol, must be doing something right with the tint paper

sometimes I wish this was a trade at least every installer would be well educated and therefor value their knowledge and expertise a lot more.

I fear the price wars will bring the whole industry down in the future.

Hey Mates,

Just don't be part of it. Continue to build your customer base and ignore what others are charging. They WILL come and go...

I am averaging $100 per car more and $30 per sqm for flat now than 2 years ago, and it has nothing to do with what others are charging.

Just need to separate yourself from the cheapies.

You don't do that by buying the cheapest film and offering cheap prices. Might be time you came along to an ITN gathering? It's not just beer and skittles... I have learnt so much from the others.

There is more work out there in Sydney than you can imagine. Just need to place yourself in a position to have the right customers find you. You can't do nothing, and expect everything. Takes effort to get reward IMO.

Cheers

Hey mates. If my opinion and advice is worth anything, it's got nothing to do with your "competition," and all to do with your positioning.

Get used to the fact that people want a cheaper price. I'm sure if you were about to buy something, you'd want to know you were getting "value for money"

Note I didn't say "cheapest price"

If I were you,I wouldn't be thinking "why do my customers want cheaper price" I'd be thinking, "why do my customers need to look around after I quote them?"

I know your good, and try everything to be professional.... but if your problem is your customers going elsewhere before committing, the only way forward is to work on yourself and your business....

I know I wasn't around for TOO long, but I managed to get enough work pretty quick....

I'm in a heavy front line sales job in your area. I know we want to stay away from "selling" and pretend that the right customers will eventually come. ... but if I could help you to close your prospective customers with your business ASAP and not have them wander around looking for something else after your quoting (which only brings your gross profits down at the end of the day) and I could help you have your customers seeing value for money in your "brand" and booking with you after one conversation and not wandering, you'd be interested wouldn't you?

All facets of window tinting downunder will continue as it always has been but there is a qualification to that statement.

Less and less auto installers will not continue in that segment of the industry and move to flat glass and if you're not watching that shift, you will be left far behind.

Already the wake up call is slowing gathering pace and installers/shop owners are recognising that the time, grief, difficulty doing cars today pales into insignificance compared to the ease of doing rectangular flat glass where there are only 2 cuts if done right and the ability to make MUCH more money and profit in the same time frame.

That's where it's at...read my squeegee!

Cheers,

Dev. :trustme

Experience Experience Experience and then some more Experience!

Super presentation, hygiene, professionalism, portfolio, time, empathy, product knowledge, problem solving skills, maths, reading, writing, clear communication, reading a tape measure correctly, organised and product support.

Then learn from all the mistakes you just made.

Not many auto tinters can or are willing to remove themselves from the tint bay to be or do this.

Archived