Compustar Alarm

Guest conv90rs

Guest conv90rs

I'm new to the window tinting biz, and have a few alarm installs under my belt. I have a problem with a current install. A little background: I'm self taught and not a licensed dealer. This is the first time I've had this kind of prob. Basically, after installing the alarm (pre-solder stage - everything is secured with electrical tape). To start the programing, you have to turn the ignition on then off 5 times. This results in the parking lights flashing twice and the relays making some clicking noise. This is what's supposed to happen. The problem is nothing happens after this. The transmitters (1 2-way pager, and 1 1-way) don't seem to communicate with the brain. I've replaced the batteries in both transmitters, removed the brain and reinstalled it includding rewiring and checked all connections, but everything seems pretty right on, and still same results. I've considered looking into purchasing an install manual to help me, but the one's I've looked at are not helpful. I've also considered taking a course on the subject at the local community college. If you guys have any input, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about compustar alarms, but check all the basic stuff, make sure there's power on the correct wires, no blown fuses, good ground, etc. :booga

Guest conv90rs

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys. Sorry for not including it, but the model is 2WSS-AS (alarm/remote starter)

Originally posted by Zrok

I don't know much about compustar alarms, but check all the basic stuff, make sure there's power on the correct wires, no blown fuses, good ground, etc.

This was performed during the 1st re-install. There were no blown fuses, but the ground wasn't as secure as it could have been so it was tightened. Also, there was a little confusion about the connection for the starter, as the wiring diagram did not specify where exactly to connect the wires. That is, when I spliced into the starter wire I ended up with two wires (one comes from the ignition and one goes to starter - clear?), and there are two wires that come off the brain for this connection, but it is not clear which goes where. So, they were reversed on the second install (just to see)

Originally posted by wndotint

There are extra steps needed to get to alarm programming

I'm very interested in learning what these extra steps are Wndotint. After the above steps (turning ignition on/off flashing lights/clicking noises etc), I tried using the tranmitter but got absolutely no response. That is, when I pushed the buttons on the transmitter nothing happened.

If I was considering doing this as a career, would you guys recommend formal training or would an apprenticeship be better? I've considered working at Circuit City to get some experience, but I'm just not sure at this point.

Thank you guys again for your help, can't tell you how much I appreciate it. This install really schooled me on my limitations as an installer...has me considering a different career. sheesh!

Frank

I learned at the School of Hard Knocks. In over 15 years, I've never taken a test, nor am I MECP certified, but I can do just about anything that runs on 12 volts. From basic keyless entries to full blown alarms that control everything motorized in the car, I've done it all, with very little help from anyone other than a tech support guy on the phone. You can download an install manual at www.compustar.org. Let me know what else I can do for you.

Guest conv90rs
Originally posted by wndotint

In over 15 years, I've never taken a test, nor am I MECP certified, but I can do just about anything that runs on 12 volts. From basic keyless entries to full blown alarms that control everything motorized in the car, I've done it all, with very little help from anyone other than a tech support guy on the phone

That's good to know. Suppose I'll just keep trying.

Thanks for the link to those manuals, but I already have them. Like I said, after the 'Remote-Pager Learn Routine' (cycling the ignition on/off 5 times within 10seconds) nothing happens. The exact routine is to remove the battery from the remote pager then cycle the ignition then replace the battery. At this point, the lights should flash once, but if I remember correctly, the lights flashed twice. Antother thing I noticed is that the remote pager did not have any icons on it except the battery power and a little antena looking thing at the bottom when you pushed a button. The brain acts like it's dead, but the LED will flash etc when I enter the programming mode, just nothing after that. I'm almost sure it's operator error as this is the most complicated alarm I've tried to install.

Guest conv90rs
Originally posted by conv90rs

I've considered looking into purchasing an install manual to help me, but the one's I've looked at are not helpful.

I think this might be a little confusing. I was refering to a general 'alarm install' manual - something you might see say to study for certification, and not the install manual that comes with individual alarms. Sorry about that, sometimes it's hard to tell how things are going to come across using this medium. I am trying to learn how to do this the right way, I just haven't been exposed to people who know what they're doing till now. I have ALOT to learn. Thanks

Guest conv90rs
Originally posted by conv90rs

To start the programing, you have to turn the ignition on then off 5 times. This results in the parking lights flashing twice and the relays making some clicking noise. This is what's supposed to happen. The problem is nothing happens after this

I re-read my post, and I apologize, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. When the ignition is cycled on/off 5 times, you are entering 'Remote-Pager Learning' mode. To answer your question, yes the parking lights flash, but if I remember correctly (the car is no longer in the shop) I think the parking lights flashed twice. The guide doesn't really state whether flashing lights is normal or not at this point. I'll have to double check some notes I took, but I'm almost certain they blinked twice.

From all appearances, the unit was brand new. It was purchased on Ebay, but it came in all the correct boxes and wrappings including wire ties around the wires. None of the wires were stripped, and the stickies on the antena still had their protective covering, and all decals were intact. It was new from what I could tell.

I spent about 3 days working on this unit 1 month ago. The car is no longer in the shop, and I refunded the full payment of the install, and told the guy I would install it for free when I figure it out. I figure I'll do right by the guy, and learn a little something along the way. He's a pretty good friend, and has faith in my ability to do this install. He's going to have time to let me give it another try in about 5 weeks. I have till then to figure it out.

I could walk you through some of the programming over the phone when you get the car back. Did you say what kind of car this is in? That part doesn't matter, but it will give me a mental picture of where everything is. If you need my help, let me know and I'll email you my phone #, or send me yours.

Archived