Mk 5 golf rear window

steveyb109

I'm gonna give this one a shot.  Please bear with me on the explanation.  :mellow:  

steveyb109...     Get your piece trimmed out large,  but almost perfect across the top(but still large), so that it doesn't hit the spoiler.  

Prep your backglass with dryer sheet.  Allow to dry completely.  Use lint free towel and lightly rewipe the surface of dried dryer sheet prep( this just make it a little more tacky than usual ).  Now use a very small piece of Not Very Wet paper towel and make a small line across the center of the backglass(where you would anchor your film).  Don't use this on the sides, just the center line.  

Place piece on glass trying not to move it around to much while placing.  Anchor with your hand or fingers across the small Not Very Wet line.  

Your film should stay well enough for you to hard card the center carefully,, UP AND DOWN from the wet line.  

You should now have a good amount of fingers across the top and bottom.  Crank up the heat gun and get your favorite hard card.  

Start from one side or the other only shrinking the top or the bottom fingers at a time.  '

Now for the harder part of the explanation.  I will do my best with this explanation.  :unsure:

When I do this, I move very fast with very small strokes with hard card.  I do not try to overheat or shrink alot then hard card.  I heat, then hit quickly with a small stroke, heat then hit, heat then hit.  All the way across JUST the bottom or top line.    After doing this, I might have only shrunk a very small line of the film, then I just keep going with same pattern back and forth little shrink by little shrink.  Once you get a feel for this you MIGHT understand what I am trying to describe here.  I wish I could do a video to show this method.  :sorry    I've tried to explain the best I could.  :hat

Sounds like to me you that you tack line is to high(try lowering the line)only tacking a single across line. Like explain more film left on the side edges the better. It also helps to remove the platic moldings on the inside. This is done so that it can have the edges dried in with a heat gun once you have it installed. Maybe even using less soap will help it stick better on the inside.