Mk 5 golf rear window

steveyb109

Hello

This is my first ever post, I'm currently tinting my first car Golf MKV

I've had 2 attempts at the back window, my first attempt was awful and full of creases

My second attempt after reading this thread went really really well and I was very impressed with myself, smooth in the middle and a few creases at top edges and mainly corners.

I need to know why I'm getting creases, my thoughts are

1. I need to be more consistent with shrinking from the straight anchor and not get ahead of myself (completely shrink it along the line then start going up and down)

2. Iv not heated the tint enough while I'm using my hard card (wrapped in tissue)

P.s. Whoever said hit with the heat then hard card and repeat; this worked wonders for me!!

Luke

where are you getting your creases?  I am going to assume the top and bottom corners right? The Golf is not an easy car to start on...you may want to practice on some easier cars to start out with.   Take your time heating...don't rush it.  In fact, as you get close to the edge of where you want to be, move to another section of the window...give the tint in those corners a chance to cool a bit, then come back to it.  Also, a huge help is...and this is kind of hard to explain but, make sure some air is getting under the tint while you are shrinking.  Search for "Ryke shrink" i think?  I don't do it the way he does it, but I do direct heat under the tint to keep it up off the glass...that way, I don't even have to use a hard card or anything to push the tint down...it just seems to fall onto the glass.  Hard to explain...but check out Ryker's way of doing it.   I am also assuming you are doing this shrink dry....

I would also just use the hard hard card with no paper towel. It will slide on the film liner much smoother, and lessen the risk of running over the film and creasing it.

I like to take them an inch at a time. Shrink down an inch all the way across, then go back and do it again. So left to right, then right to left, etc, working down an inch at a time. I found out by trying to shrink too much in one area at a time you are going to either crease or burn the film. Shrinking all the way across helps with the tension of the film. I also only anchor vertically on the two side edges. Also when you anchor down a side pull it across as tight as you can before you anchor the other side

I like to take them an inch at a time. Shrink down an inch all the way across, then go back and do it again. So left to right, then right to left, etc, working down an inch at a time. I found out by trying to shrink too much in one area at a time you are going to either crease or burn the film. Shrinking all the way across helps with the tension of the film. I also only anchor vertically on the two side edges. Also when you anchor down a side pull it across as tight as you can before you anchor the other side

Awesome description dude. Nice. :thumb2

Only difference I have is I anchor one verticle side as far out on the edge as possible, and the pull the other side really tight and make a single narrow pass across the center to have a small center anchor (only a finger or two wide) to work top and bottom from like you are talking.

Good on ya Tintcracker :beer

Awesome description dude. Nice. :thumb2

Only difference I have is I anchor one verticle side as far out on the edge as possible, and the pull the other side really tight and make a single narrow pass across the center to have a small center anchor (only a finger or two wide) to work top and bottom from like you are talking.

Good on ya Tintcracker :beer

Thanks

If you try to shrink to much too fast, you will run out of room to shrink the corners. Even if you slow down the fan speed, you will still not have enough to shrink.

@ SK Customs - Try doing the entire window on low fan speed/high heat. It will take longer, but it will help keep you from shrinking too much too fast.

:beer

If you try to shrink to much too fast, you will run out of room to shrink the corners. Even if you slow down the fan speed, you will still not have enough to shrink.

@ SK Customs - Try doing the entire window on low fan speed/high heat. It will take longer, but it will help keep you from shrinking too much too fast.

:beer

X2. Don't bite off more than you can shrink. Lol