Idaho Multipurpose Vehicle

blackout8

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Idaho next week and I've been trying to find out if my tint is legal.

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma, 4-Wheel drive, 4 door (seats 5 people). My truck came with factory tint around 20% on the back side windows and rear window. The aftermarket tint on the front windows is 35%... this is the max for Idaho. The aftermarket tint on the back side windows and rear window is 5%.

The legal tint for passenger vehicles in idaho is 35% in the front, 20% on the rear sides, and 35% on the rear window.

According to IWFA (See this PDF) current as of 10/13/2015, MPV's can have any tint on the back side and rear windows (this is not the case for passenger cars).

According to the Idaho state statutes:

Multipurpose passenger vehicle (MPV). For the purposes of section 49-966, Idaho Code, a motor vehicle designed to carry ten (10) or fewer persons which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

Passenger car. For the purposes of section 49-966, Idaho Code, a motor vehicle, except a multipurpose passenger vehicle, motorcycle or trailer, designed to carry ten (10) or fewer persons.

Here is their window tint law. MPV IS NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE. Yet, everywhere I look online, it says in Idaho you can have any tint on the rear windows of an MPV. I just want it in writing.. so if a cop hassles me I can back it up...or prove it in court if I have to.

To further complicate the matter, I called the Idaho DMV and Idaho DOT who could not answer my question. They told me to call the Idaho State Police, which I did. I talked to a corporal and he said the darkest legal tint is 18% (what?!) and that there was no exemption for MPV's.

Does anyone know where this exemption for MPV's is coming from?! I sure would like to have it in writing :eye

Why not just print out the iwfa state law sheet, it states it right there in black and white. Also if you look at SC laws there are 2 **, according to what it states at the bottom of the page, it means that pick-up trucks are not considered MPVs in that state. ID doesn't have that so you should be fine. 

I certainly will print it and keep it in the glove box. Unfortunately though, the IWFA is not a government entity, so just because they said something doesn't mean a cop or the court has to accept it.

I tried calling the IWFA... no answer. I guess I'll try emailing them!

Well, I finally got ahold of the IWFA. Here's how our conversation went... they led me right back here, to my own thread :facepalm2

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 12:13 PM
To: laura@iwfa.com

Subject: Feedback from IWFA Website

On your US States Window Tinting Law chart, there is are different regulations in Idaho for cars and MPVs, yet I can't find any distinction between the two in the state law. Can you please advise me as to where you got this information? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: Feedback from IWFA Website

Local Time: December 3 2015 9:34 am

UTC Time: December 3 2015 5:34 pm

To: blackout8

Check out the legend and across the top in the header. Depends on which glass you are talking about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 12:52 PM
To: Dolly Whisonant <dolly@iwfa.com>

Hi Dolly,

Thanks for the quick reply. What I'm trying to understand is where in the Idaho state law it says that an MPV can have any tint on the back side windows and rear window. I don't see anything here: http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH9SECT49-944.htm that relates to MPVs. It just says 35% front side windows and rear window, and 20% back window. Nothing about an exemption for any tint on an MPV.

Can you clarify where in the state law it specifies this? I'm sure that your organization had a good reason for putting it in your chart, I just cant find it in the state law.

Thanks in advance

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Dolly Whisonant <'dolly@iwfa.com'> wrote:

Under the columns that have the info whatever it defines for one does not change for mpv unless stated

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 1:24 PM
To: Dolly Whisonant <dolly@iwfa.com>

Maybe it would be easier to explain this to someone over the phone. I have been trying to call the (276) 666-4932, and haven't gotten an answer. Is there some other number I can reach you guys at? 

My number is (---) ----xxxx. Feel free to call me

Thank you

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Dolly Whisonant <'dolly@iwfa.com'> wrote:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/82224-idaho-multipurpose-vehicle/

you might want to try this one

So... Long story short - IWFA probably has the wrong information, and my tint is probably not legal (there are no distinctions or exemptions for MPVs anywhere in any Idaho law).

I guess I'll see how long I can go without getting pulled over!

Personally, I would consider an mpv to be any vehicle that comes with rear privacy glass, trucks, vans, SUVs. I'd say you'll be fine.

An MPV(multi purpose vehicle) is basically one with a hatch and folding seats allowing it to haul cargo instead of people. If it has a trunk, it's a car. :cool

Archived