reflectivity of tint question

Guest techchica

Guest techchica

I'm looking to get my car tinted. I do a lot of driving every day and want something to reduce the UV light coming into the car. I have looked into 3M ScotchTint, Llumar, and VKool. I've talked a guy who prefers Llumar over 3M, and I seem to favor it as well. The only thing is that the Llumar film I'm interested in, UVShield, is reflective at about 8 or 9%. I really don't want a reflective film because I don't think it's legal in Illinois (correct me if I'm wrong). Also I think if I wear sunglasses when driving, it might not be as easy to look through a reflective film. I have been in tinted cars wearing my sunglasses and I get this wierd rainbow effect when looking at the windows. So one good thing about 3M is that they make a film without using metal and it is non-reflective.

So I'm currently undecided between Llumar and 3M. Llumar UVShield reflectivity is 8-9%. Do you think I can by the non-reflectivity Illinois law with a reflectivity at this level of 8-9%? Is this considered a low amount of reflectivity, and will it be noticeable to others from the outside? Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, I see a lot of SUVs, such as Lexus RX300/330, Mercedes..., etc. that have a nice tint in the back windows. It seemed to be non-reflective to me but what do I know :mad... I'm wondering what brand do they use for the SUVs if they come from the dealer that way.

Also, if you have other recommendations for good products for UV protection, I would appreciate it.

Guest metint

I think 8-9% reflectivity would be fine since the glass in your car before tint is applied has a reflectivity of 8-9%. It won't change by adding UVshield.

Be sure you are choosing a film that will fit as closely as possible to your reason for having it installed... heat, glare, aesthetic appeal, UV protection... all or part. :mad

Guest metint

I failed to mention that if you are only interested in UV protection due to medical reasons, UVshield IS the film with the highest UV absorbing capabilities on the market and comes recommended by many dermatologists nationwide.

Of course any automotive tint will give you a decent amount of protection, but if you suffer as UV sensitive disease, the film to get is UVshield. For those seriously sensitive to UV should consider having their film changed out every three years to maintain maximum UV protection. :mad

Guest Sprinter

I would agree with metint on the uv shield and get it changed out every three years or buy a new car and then get it tinted again. most auto films do reject 99% of the UV rays so get what you think would look best on your car, I would talk to as many shops that you can to see what they would recomend for you then compare apples to apples!

Archived