Do all VLT's perform the same?

IF THIS GETS TAKEN IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.. I WILL ASK THAT THE WHOLE THREAD BE DELETED   :evileye 

I was talking with a rep recently, and one thing he said made an eyebrow raise :?  I would like to know and discuss how much truth there is in this statement.  This was brought up when I said something about looking at different films and all the performance numbers and specs on different films.  

All films, no matter who makes them, perform the same.  If it's the same VLT of dyed, hp, ceramic, IR, etc.; performance is the same due to the physics and construction of window film.  A 20% mirror from this company is going to perform the same as a 20% mirror from that company.  A 35% dyed will perform the same as 35% dyed no matter who is making it. 

I understand what he is trying to say, If this is true, it would seem to me that the only thing we should be looking at as purchasers of film on the shop side(not customer side) would be:

Color, Handling(shrinking), Longevity and performance of adhesives, Scratch coat quality, Optical clarity  and PRICE OF FILM.  

Thoughts on this please.  Thank you.  

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF THIS GETS TAKEN IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.. I WILL ASK THAT THE WHOLE THREAD BE DELETED :evileye

I was talking with a rep recently, and one thing he said made an eyebrow raise :? I would like to know and discuss how much truth there is in this statement. This was brought up when I said something about looking at different films and all the performance numbers and specs on different films.

All films, no matter who makes them, perform the same. If it's the same VLT of dyed, hp, ceramic, IR, etc.; performance is the same due to the physics and construction of window film. A 20% mirror from this company is going to perform the same as a 20% mirror from that company. A 35% dyed will perform the same as 35% dyed no matter who is making it.

I understand what he is trying to say, If this is true, it would seem to me that the only thing we should be looking at as purchasers of film on the shop side(not customer side) would be:

Color, Handling(shrinking), Longevity and performance of adhesives, Scratch coat quality, Optical clarity and PRICE OF FILM.

Thoughts on this please. Thank you.

I would have replied back to him asking why the name brand mac-n-cheese tastes better than the generics. Lol

All films, no matter who makes them, perform the same.  If it's the same VLT of dyed, hp, ceramic, IR, etc.; performance is the same due to the physics and construction of window film.  A 20% mirror from this company is going to perform the same as a 20% mirror from that company.  A 35% dyed will perform the same as 35% dyed no matter who is making it. 

Hello Bham,

The statement is incorrect.  Please do the following.

#1    Call up this rep

#2    Ask him/her the definition of Luminous Efficacy

#3    Post the answer on this thread

The only instance where this statement would be true would be if the 2 films being compared were made with exact the same components and processes, in which case the LE would be equal.

-Howard

IF THIS GETS TAKEN IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.. I WILL ASK THAT THE WHOLE THREAD BE DELETED   :evileye 

I was talking with a rep recently, and one thing he said made an eyebrow raise :?  I would like to know and discuss how much truth there is in this statement.  This was brought up when I said something about looking at different films and all the performance numbers and specs on different films.  

Color, Handling(shrinking), Longevity and performance of adhesives, Scratch coat quality, Optical clarity  and PRICE OF FILM.  

Thoughts on this please.  Thank you.  

All films do the same thing: They filter em energy at various wavelengths in 3 basic regions "UV", "Visible Light, and "IR"

To what amount they filter depends on what the film is designed to do and the materials used therein.

If the components are similar then it stands to reason that the performance will be similar. For example something basic like a dyed film would probably support that theory. But take a spectral select film and pair it up against a similar vlt product and you will find a big difference in performance due to what's called the "LE" or luminous efficacy.

So short answer... "No" they do not all perform the same.

LE = VLT/SC.  This is the holy grail of window film comparative performance. 

Once you combine this with a thorough understanding of components, construction methodology and longitudinal durability, you truly get the "big picture" of how Film A compares to Film B.

-Howard

@  Howard at EWF....  email sent to him,  awaiting response.  

So from a purchaser's standpoint,  I'm looking at multiple dyed films or ceramic films from different companies, and all of the performance numbers are about the same,,  where does that take me??  

All films do the same thing: They filter em energy at various wavelengths in 3 basic regions "UV", "Visible Light, and "IR"

To what amount they filter depends on what the film is designed to do and the materials used therein.

If the components are similar then it stands to reason that the performance will be similar. For example something basic like a dyed film would probably support that theory. But take a spectral select film and pair it up against a similar vlt product and you will find a big difference in performance due to what's called the "LE" or luminous efficacy.

So short answer... "No" they do not all perform the same.

Well stated as always Rob....  Happy Holidays to you sir.

-Howard

@  Howard at EWF....  email sent to him,  awaiting response.  

So from a purchaser's standpoint,  I'm looking at multiple dyed films or ceramic films from different companies, and all of the performance numbers are about the same,,  where does that take me??  

Hi Bham,

I did not receive an email from you.  Please send to howard@buytint.com

Note:  I have a conference call coming up at 2PM Eastern.

Thanks,

Howard

Archived