Film on a white Porsche GT4

coatings are not diamond strength...the 9H is on the pencil scale, not the MOHS scale

PPF the front end, protect the whole car with a coating.  Modesta is my go to top tier, then Cquartz Finest

Heres what I got from an opti coat rep:

Pencil hardness is a means of testing the scratch resistance of surface coatings with increasingly harder pencils...9H usually being the hardest. Sometimes pencil hardness is confused with MOHs scale OS mineral hardness. This is a legitimate test for a coating application. 

The Mohs scale of mineral hardness is based on the ability of one natural sample of matter to scratch another mineral. On the Mohs scale, diamond is 10, silicon carbide (Opti Coat) is 9-9.5, while glass/fused quartz/quartz is 6-7. This hardness while interesting, only shows the scratch resistance potential of the standalone mineral in relation to other minerals and does not translate to coatings because of the variables in applied thickness and the substrate to which it is applied. 

Selling it requires a few questions to find out what your potential customers needs are. Some will like the available lifetime warranty, some will like the reduced effort to maintain, some will like the real and constant protection vs fading protection of normal LSPs, some will like the idea of not having to polish into the actual clear to repair damage down the road.

So though not diamond strenght lol(had a funny feeling I was wrong here), still offers good protection. 

Can I ask why you like Modesta as top tier? I know you have to use UV lamps with it. 

coatings are not diamond strength...the 9H is on the pencil scale, not the MOHS scale

PPF the front end, protect the whole car with a coating. Modesta is my go to top tier, then Cquartz Finest

Pencil hardness is a means of testing the scratch resistance of surface coatings with increasingly harder pencils...9H usually being the hardest. Sometimes pencil hardness is confused with MOHs scale OS mineral hardness. This is a legitimate test for a coating application.

The Mohs scale of mineral hardness is based on the ability of one natural sample of matter to scratch another mineral. On the Mohs scale, diamond is 10, silicon carbide (Opti Coat) is 9-9.5, while glass/fused quartz/quartz is 6-7. This hardness while interesting, only shows the scratch resistance potential of the standalone mineral in relation to other minerals and does not translate to coatings because of the variables in applied thickness and the substrate to which it is applied.

Selling it requires a few questions to find out what your potential customers needs are. Some will like the available lifetime warranty, some will like the reduced effort to maintain, some will like the real and constant protection vs fading protection of normal LSPs, some will like the idea of not having to polish into the actual clear to repair damage down the road.

So though not diamond strenght lol(had a funny feeling I was wrong here), still offers good protection.

Can I ask why you like Modesta as top tier? I know you have to use UV lamps with it.

Are you a detailer?

PPF the front end, protect the whole car with a coating. Modesta is my go to top tier, then Cquartz Finest

Are you a detailer?

Not professionally. I do my own cars, families and friends. Im looking into PPFs for professional job but I dont know where to start.

Are you a detailer?

Not professional. I do my own cars and friends. Im looking into PPFs for professional job but I dont know where to start.

Yeah I'm not a detailer either!

Archived