3m suing Xpel

3m are seeking all revenue not just margin lost

Have you added that up its basically telephone numbers

Surviving that would be a struggle for any company IMHO

You may be right however and they may well be able to weather this storm.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3m are seeking all revenue not just margin lost

As long as Xpel loses or reach a settlement with 3M, fat speculates that the similar lawsuit can be filed against many PPF manufacturers and reshape our PPF landscape.

Another online article speculates that Xpel will swallow the bitter pill and sell themselves to a larger company to fund its legal defense.

Quote from: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3785596-investing-with-an-edge-xpel-technologies?page=2

the lawsuit and lack of capital could spur Xpel to sell itself to a larger competitor that can fund both its growth and legal defense.

Bear in mind, these are just speculations.

Once again... I am just a 1 man tinter that has no clue how to best install PPF.

Dear GTS, don't distribute PPF, the margins are tight.

But PPF-installers can make multifolds.

One step ahead of you Fat...

I am lucky to have a few wise ol' people to call upon for advise...

That advice almost 5 years ago reflects your advise above.

There is good margin for installation, however that will vanish when franchises and other groups get involved. Then you will see the suppliers go direct and setup shops. etc..

My thoughts currently are that a clear and patterned spray/dip not unlike Plasti dip will become a more cost effective option that hand wrapping a car.

PPF was the hype 10 years ago at SEMA... And I think it will still be the hype 10 years from now.

Not saying it is not a good product... Although... Who will want to invest in PPF if 3M manage to run Xpel out of town?

Cheers 

Once again... I am just a 1 man tinter that has no clue how to best install PPF.

Dear GTS, don't distribute PPF, the margins are tight.

But PPF-installers can make multifolds.

Agreed.

I first saw this material in 1991 and realized then it would be a hard sell (for me) compared to window film. I did find many uses for it but, not on paint. Back then I was using it as a key guard on business entry doors, protecting the film I just applied to the glass. To this day it serves many uses for me, I just am uncomfortable about its use on car paint... profitable or not.

Why would some other company buy up Xpel with such litigation being part of the deal?

Just a lot of speculation here mainly by Xpel fans. No one knows the true reasons behind this except the parties involved. I think the comment that worries me the most is Xpel's "no need to panic, business as usual...". So you guys are used to getting sued? I am hoping that is a mistype. There has been a lot of drama associated with Xpel over the last few years mainly by their expansion of installation shops into markets where local installers were already pushing Xpel products. No need to rehash all of that as the truth pretty much came out over time. What's the old saying about karma??? I just recently contacted Xpel about a local shop here in North Dallas who created over 30 fake Facebook accounts to write false 5 star reviews about themselves... and the other two names they are doing business as. They also took pics from other websites and claimed they were pics of their own work. There is a lot more to this but I called them out on it. My reply from them was a death threat to me and my four year old daughter. I mean really... who threatens to kill a four year old girl??? Of course I reported them to the police who handled it but the false reviews are still up.... which has driven them to the top of page one in the Google SEO rankings. I have in writing the owner admitting they know the reviews are false and supposedly that he didn't have control over them... yet he hasn't taken any of them down. The reason why I mention this is they promote using Xpel and Suntek... with lifetime warranties. So I contacted Suntek and Xpel. Suntek has contacted them for copyright infringement and some other legal issues while Xpel just stated he knew who they were and that they learned their SEO tactics in the Xpel training class and that they "nailed it". Maybe instead of teaching these guys shady tactics to get to the top of the search results they should have been training them how to install. The guys are horrible at installing and have been run out of two dealerships here already because of their poor workmanship. Yet a lot of new clients with no PPF experience will contact them thinking they will get a 5 star install which in reality they are getting a 1 star install. Then they will think what they got is supposed to be the best it gets and get turned off by PPF in general. It hurts the entire market for everyone around and makes the "piece of the pie" smaller as time goes. Again this all falls into that old saying about karma. I don't know what will happen out of this law suit but there are valid reasons there I am sure. I just hope that a lesson is learned and a little integrity is the end result and a lot of the BS we have seen over the last few years comes to an end. If your product is that good then rely on it to get you to the top. Don't teach shady practices and do shady things to get there because it all comes back around.

Just a lot of speculation here mainly by Xpel fans. No one knows the true reasons behind this except the parties involved. I think the comment that worries me the most is Xpel's "no need to panic, business as usual...". So you guys are used to getting sued? I am hoping that is a mistype. There has been a lot of drama associated with Xpel over the last few years mainly by their expansion of installation shops into markets where local installers were already pushing Xpel products. No need to rehash all of that as the truth pretty much came out over time. What's the old saying about karma??? I just recently contacted Xpel about a local shop here in North Dallas who created over 30 fake Facebook accounts to write false 5 star reviews about themselves... and the other two names they are doing business as. They also took pics from other websites and claimed they were pics of their own work. There is a lot more to this but I called them out on it. My reply from them was a death threat to me and my four year old daughter. I mean really... who threatens to kill a four year old girl??? Of course I reported them to the police who handled it but the false reviews are still up.... which has driven them to the top of page one in the Google SEO rankings. I have in writing the owner admitting they know the reviews are false and supposedly that he didn't have control over them... yet he hasn't taken any of them down. The reason why I mention this is they promote using Xpel and Suntek... with lifetime warranties. So I contacted Suntek and Xpel. Suntek has contacted them for copyright infringement and some other legal issues while Xpel just stated he knew who they were and that they learned their SEO tactics in the Xpel training class and that they "nailed it". Maybe instead of teaching these guys shady tactics to get to the top of the search results they should have been training them how to install. The guys are horrible at installing and have been run out of two dealerships here already because of their poor workmanship. Yet a lot of new clients with no PPF experience will contact them thinking they will get a 5 star install which in reality they are getting a 1 star install. Then they will think what they got is supposed to be the best it gets and get turned off by PPF in general. It hurts the entire market for everyone around and makes the "piece of the pie" smaller as time goes. Again this all falls into that old saying about karma. I don't know what will happen out of this law suit but there are valid reasons there I am sure. I just hope that a lesson is learned and a little integrity is the end result and a lot of the BS we have seen over the last few years comes to an end. If your product is that good then rely on it to get you to the top. Don't teach shady practices and do shady things to get there because it all comes back around.

It should be noted that the SEO topics taught in our training class are 100% above board and valuable information.  We never teach anything about creating false reviews or using other website's content, as that is unethical.  Those that have been through our training class will vouch for content, it's integrity, as well as its effectiveness.

Please do not confuse the acts of independently owned shops with our practices.  As I mentioned in our conversation, those that do business in a dishonest, unethical way tend to expose themselves quickly.  I think we are all well aware that folks that can't back up good advertising with quality work product are exposed.  

LOL.  No need to panic.  It's business as usual around XPEL.  We're going to continue producing the same film and patterns we have for years.

No one knows the true reasons behind this except the parties involved. I think the comment that worries me the most is Xpel's "no need to panic, business as usual...". So you guys are used to getting sued? I am hoping that is a mistype.

I came across the same words in other online forums

No need to panic. It's business as usual around XPEL. We're going to continue producing the same film and patterns we have for years.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=7809810&postcount=8

I just recently contacted Xpel about a local shop here in North Dallas who created over 30 fake Facebook accounts to write false 5 star reviews about themselves... and the other two names they are doing business as. They also took pics from other websites and claimed they were pics of their own work. There is a lot more to this but I called them out on it. My reply from them was a death threat to me and my four year old daughter. I mean really... who threatens to kill a four year old girl???

WTF!!! :mad

Archived