3m suing Xpel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
other online forums

What? Other forums? There are no other forums. THERE IS ONLY TINTDUDE. :notwrthy

:lol2

my bad. sorry , i didn't mean to channel traffic out of this forum by sharing external links.  :notwrthy :notwrthy :notwrthy

No biggie. :cool I was just sorta curious of these other worlds you speak of. :heh

ALL HAIL TINTDUDE! :notwrthy

well, to be more specific, self healing has been around for years, even before Xpel Ultimate. Self healing top coat is a different story. But basic films like Ventureshield self heal when you do the wire brush test. it's a natural property of Urethane that when you apply heat, the urethane flows back in on itself. 

I just recently contacted Xpel about a local shop here in North Dallas who created over 30 fake Facebook accounts to write false 5 star reviews about themselves... and the other two names they are doing business as. They also took pics from other websites and claimed they were pics of their own work. There is a lot more to this but I called them out on it. My reply from them was a death threat to me and my four year old daughter. I mean really... who threatens to kill a four year old girl???

WTF!!! :mad

Pro-Tect was referring to the independent shop.  Not XPEL.

Sorry I have been meaning to get back to this thread but swamped with work. Let me clarify that the local shop here that made the threats is NOT an Xpel shop. They went through Xoel training evidently but they are an independent shop going under three different business names. Sorry for the confusion. Will get back to this thread this weekend.

A write-up on the history:

In June 2005, XPEL announced it had partnered with 3M film distributors across the U.S. and increased its market exposure to nearly all lower 48 states.

"These solidified relationships with highly successful 3M distributors, are paving the way for XPEL to achieve substantially greater market penetration more quickly," wrote former chief executive officer W. Rege Brunner in a news release. "By combining our efforts, these partners are also driving XPEL brand awareness, supporting 3M-certified product installation training, and facilitating delivery of the absolute best-designed automotive survival products to the driving public, in a highly accelerated manner."
XPEL's San Antonio office of more than 5,600 square-feet once served as a training center for 3M certified installation of paint protection film but it's unclear how long the partnership lasted.

3M has been selling its own film that was developed for the U.S. military in the early 1990s but XPEL had developed a proprietary computer software that offered real-time car model templates directly to dealerships and retail kits to consumers. It is unclear whether XPEL began purchasing film from another manufacturer or began development itself. XPEL holds a U.S. patent on the process of applying the film, not the product --- whereas 3M was awarded a U.S. patent for the multi-layer film in 2014.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2016/01/05/san-antonio-based-xpel-technologies-relationship.html

Archived