Windshield vs back glass failures

Just curious from a previous post. Since the growing popularity of customers wanting to get their windshield tinted we all know what the future holds, film failure. I know most of us have done our fair share of back glass r&r's. I'm sure we all have seen the back glasses that look as if they were put on and never had the bubbles pushed out. Experienced installers know that this is not the case and that it is classic film failure.

Now a lot of these vehicles that I have seen in most cases the side windows will still be in fairly good condition. What I've read in the past is that the back glass gets more sun than the sides do, which could lead to a quicker failure rate. I've also seen this happen within a couple years time.

So really the main reason I'm writing and what I'm curious about are the windshields. What is everyone's experience with film failure on the windshields? Has anyone seen the type of failure that I previously stated on the front, or could that failure be related to the defrost lines?

I do beleive defrost lines worsen film delamination. Another thing ive noticed is film delaminating in a line from where you trim for defrost connectors on older vehicles. Also, I would guess winshield failure would be less frequent than with bgs from being replaced from cracks.

The only time we have ever replaced a windshield is when there was a spec of dirt in the drivers line of sight.

God I love that. That's the only replacements I've done as well. I believe it's been more popularized in I'd say the last three years or so. So I'm just curious if we can expect to see the same type of failures as we do in the back glasses.

I do beleive defrost lines worsen film delamination. Another thing ive noticed is film delaminating in a line from where you trim for defrost connectors on older vehicles. Also, I would guess winshield failure would be less frequent than with bgs from being replaced from cracks.

I agree with pj , but I do autoglass re[placement also and a lot of times customers will need a new windshield before film fails , due to chips cracks etc. so far so good for me ive never had a return for film failure on a windshield :thumb

I just R&R'd my dad's Town and Country van this past week. AIR 80 WS was going south after about 7 years full sun exposure at high elevation. Privacy glass sides were mixed condition and back glass was showing zero issue. CTX 40 on the privacy glass. Both films were QC rejected and used for training only.

Archived