Acceptable Tint Job/Gaps?

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I went to go get my Honda Civic tinted with Llumar CTX. The shop I went to said their cuts were digitally cut so everything should line up. After all said and done, I inspected the tint job afterwards and found gaps especially on the front/rear passengers windows. I'm not talking about the windows that move, I'm talking about the smaller windows next to the bigger, movable windows. I pointed it out the and the shop said as long "the tint reaches the rubber moulding" he would consider it acceptable. 

But he did say if I still wasn't happy about it, he offered to redo those windows. He also threw in the fact if I were to go this route, they would have to hand cut the tint and risk cutting the rubber lining. 

So I was wondering if these gaps are acceptable to you more experienced tinters. The pictures I took are on the driver's side but it's the same on the passenger's side of the car. I also took a few pictures of the back window with the defroster lines, I was wondering if there is supposed to have a gap between the film and the edge of the back window. 

I paid about ~330 for Llumar CTX. As far as I can tell, they did a great job on the driver and passenger side roll-able windows (front and back), I'm just iffy on the smaller side windows and the back window. What do you all think? Thanks!

P.S. sorry about the dirty car, my car must have gotten attacked by whatever sprinkle of rain last night :P.

Front driver side window (same as passenger side)

Sfh3KHFl.jpg

Rear driver side window (same as passenger side)
ulVo1cIl.jpg

Rear window with defroster (are these gaps on the edges of the film acceptable?)
i4LqFEAl.jpg

Rear window with defroster (Are those holes/dirt acceptable)

kMV5cF3l.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way that should be acceptable is their is a rubber gasket in that section that prevents access to the edge like on the 04-08 Acura TL's.  If not it needs to be redone.  As for the rear window, those are not gaps due to the cut, that is just where the film is raised going over the top of the defrosters and the matrix.

Ok. I am a Llumar installer also and a experienced Tinter of 20 years. The smaller quarter Windows would never have gone out of my shop looking like that. I am old school and I hand cut everything! I take pride in my work! And a Tinter using a plotter is only as good as the program he is cutting his patterns from. It is very possible to cut the patternes for your car without damaging the seals. A experienced Tinter should be confident in his own skills.

The rear window does not have gaps around the boarder. You will get that line where the tint overlaps the black boarder. But the dots are dirt and marks from installing the film. A few dots are to be expected. definitely could be much better. Just my opinion!

It is unprofessional, in my opinion, to throw out that if they have to redo it that it could cause damage to the rubber. You are unhappy with it. Especially the day that you are walking by the same car in a parking lot somewhere and the windows aren't gapped. I certainly wouldn't want someone posting a mistake I made online, but you did give them a chance and they made an excuse.

first picture.................digitally cut by stevie wonder.......... 

Yeah I was surprised to hear the installer tell me that it should be fine..

The only way that should be acceptable is their is a rubber gasket in that section that prevents access to the edge like on the 04-08 Acura TL's.  If not it needs to be redone.  As for the rear window, those are not gaps due to the cut, that is just where the film is raised going over the top of the defrosters and the matrix.

Oh interesting, I knew there would be raised film over the defroster lines but not borders as well.

Ok. I am a Llumar installer also and a experienced Tinter of 20 years. The smaller quarter Windows would never have gone out of my shop looking like that. I am old school and I hand cut everything! I take pride in my work! And a Tinter using a plotter is only as good as the program he is cutting his patterns from. It is very possible to cut the patternes for your car without damaging the seals. A experienced Tinter should be confident in his own skills.

The rear window does not have gaps around the boarder. You will get that line where the tint overlaps the black boarder. But the dots are dirt and marks from installing the film. A few dots are to be expected. definitely could be much better. Just my opinion!

Hmm, if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying the border around the rear windows aren't gaps but just raised off of the window because of the black border? Since there are marks and dirt in the rear window, would you suggest I take it back for them to redo it or leave as is? I worry as I hear stories of people redoing the back window only to find their rear window defrosters broken. Also the installer mentioned redoing the rear would be more difficult as they can't just pull the film off as it may pull off the defroster lines as well.

Thank you all for your input!

It is unprofessional, in my opinion, to throw out that if they have to redo it that it could cause damage to the rubber. You are unhappy with it. Especially the day that you are walking by the same car in a parking lot somewhere and the windows aren't gapped. I certainly wouldn't want someone posting a mistake I made online, but you did give them a chance and they made an excuse.

Oh no, that is what they told me. They said something along the lines of "they would have to take a sharp blade near the rubber gaskets", if I wanted to be edge to edge.

You can't expect every shop to install at the same level... Hence the variance in pricing shop to shop and variance in techniques...

People assume that there is only one way to install this stuff but that couldn't be farther from the truth :twocents

The white line is normal on the back glass. In the second pic of the back glass if it were just those couple specs it wouldn't be to bad but with those extra lines and stuff it doesn't look the best in the world. As far as the quarters those are hit and miss. Sometimes the customer notices it and sometimes a good tinter goes past the seal :lol . Seriously though if the guy doesn't know how to trim a quarter window without cutting the outside seal he needs to hang up his apron. All it takes is an old liner and a Sharpie. Another victim to the we use state of the art computer cut.

Archived