Acceptable Tint Job/Gaps?

You can't expect every shop to install at the same level... Hence the variance in pricing shop to shop and variance in techniques...

People assume that there is only one way to install this stuff but that couldn't be farther from the truth :twocents

Am I wrong to ask to take it back?

The white line is normal on the back glass. In the second pic of the back glass if it were just those couple specs it wouldn't be to bad but with those extra lines and stuff it doesn't look the best in the world. As far as the quarters those are hit and miss. Sometimes the customer notices it and sometimes a good tinter goes past the seal :lol . Seriously though if the guy doesn't know how to trim a quarter window without cutting the outside seal he needs to hang up his apron. All it takes is an old liner and a Sharpie. Another victim to the we use state of the art computer cut.

With your expertise, do you think I should also have the rear window tinted again or leave as is?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not gonna say that it wouldn't have ever left my shop looking like that. all I can say is that if you were unhappy and brought it back I would redo it. If it bothers you mention it to the guy and see what he says. I can say he's probably not going to want to redo it especially since he's already said that about the quarter windows. My guess he'll say something about chances of losing defroster lines which in this case you shouldn't have any problems with, then that it could come out worse the second time.

Yes, those windows should be redone along with the rear window.  The parts around the edge are normal and will be like that no matter where you take it...it just looks white because there is a gap where the film can't lay perfectly down because of the raised surface.  However there is plenty of flaws in that one photo of the rear window so it will need to be redone.

Gaps in vent glass are pathetic and should be redone. The risk/reward on removing and replacing the backglass tint are probably too great to worry about if that's the only thing wrong with it. Life's too short to sweat the little hiccups in life.

Steam off the back window and everything should be A-ok. I remove film all the time with out damaging the rear window. That's just an excuse. If it is fresh tint it should come off without to much of a problem. It sucks to have to redo it but if it came back to my shop I would redo it without question. I understand. It happens. Could have been numberous factors. We have all been there. Now it time to see how solid of a company they are. Balls in their court to show their true colors. Me it would be a pride thing. to others it's not.

If you went to a high quality shop I would say replace the back window. Problem is, from the information I've gathered, this might not be a high quality shop.

Therefore not only do you run the risk of defroster damage but also if a bit of adhesive is missed, the end result may look worse than what you currently have.

If you went to a high quality shop I would say replace the back window. Problem is, from the information I've gathered, this might not be a high quality shop.

Therefore not only do you run the risk of defroster damage but also if a bit of adhesive is missed, the end result may look worse than what you currently have.

Yep, seen many jobs come in where the last shop tinted over adhesive they didn't 100% remove.  What sucks is they carry a good brand, but doesn't mean they are an authorized dealer.  Few shops here in GA claim Llumar and Huper Optik, but are not dealers.

Archived