What causes these marks?

:thumb The original intent was for the shim to butt against the film wrap, not the core. It was to keep the film moving truer through the cutters. This snafu was pointed out to FH way back when first discovered/reported by end users however, its apparent nothing has been done to remedy unless their newer stock changed.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumb The original intent was for the shim to butt against the film wrap, not the core. It was to keep the film moving truer through the cutters. This snafu was pointed out to FH way back when first discovered/reported by end users however, its apparent nothing has been done to remedy unless their newer stock changed.

I can see where, if the shim slides over the core, the film itself could actually get pinched between the shim and the core. Mangling the edge of the film. .???

I can see where, if the shim slides over the core, the film itself could actually get pinched between the shim and the core. Mangling the edge of the film. .???

Yes it can as the film gets closer to the core.

If that is a PS adhesive, it will probably lay down....probably . .... My 2 biggest bitches are when a film is sent on a roll and has a cord that is 1/2" wider. .. It is a pita to slit on a FH. And when a roll has a bad edge cut from slitting. There is no fixing either one of these issues.

I have installed DA film with the same issue and it was fine.

Just keep tension the roll as you pull the film trough the slitter and use that edge as the factory one and trim the other side when installing and use a spacer on the FH ends so the film will not move back and forth on the roll.

We have shims and use them quite often... They can only do so much. Many times, even with the shims in place, there can be 1/2" of side to side slop. ... Very aggravating.

Just make your own by using end caps, I am sure you have many different ones and sizes to pick from like I do.

I cut off the end that goes inside the core and if you want it to fit over the core hone it out some more.

You will want to use the same width shim on both sides so your horizontal cuts are even. 

Archived