Is % Pay Fair When no Additional Work is Needed? (Flat Rate vs %)

Aren't the more expensive films usually slightly harder to work with? So why wouldn't an installer be entitled to getting paid more for having to deal with a film that is harder to work with and is going to take more time to install "properly" compared to a cheaper film that "cheap" folks might choose compared to someone with a higher end car wanting the so-called "best" and is willing to pay for a premium product and installation? 

Cost of film doesn't necessarily equate to difficulty. But you are correct, some films are more difficult to work with and will take more time to install and this should be factored in. Huper for example is know and a more difficult film that needs special technique. 

If you carry a film like this you need to be aware of what that means for your install times and effort on the installers part. 

this needs to be reflected in the cost of the film and also in the compensation to the installer. as a matter of fact the installation time and cost need to be accounted for in the sales price of the product.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't the more expensive films usually slightly harder to work with? So why wouldn't an installer be entitled to getting paid more for having to deal with a film that is harder to work with and is going to take more time to install "properly" compared to a cheaper film that "cheap" folks might choose compared to someone with a higher end car wanting the so-called "best" and is willing to pay for a premium product and installation? 

as a matter of fact the installation time and cost need to be accounted for in the sales price of the product.

So therefore, the amount the installer gets paid to execute a job should be based on that, not a single flat rate of "X" amount per window. 

There are several ways to do it and the fairness will vary with the actual tinter...some will like it one way and some another way.  Personally for me I would pay them a flat salary no matter the volume.  This works because on busy weeks you make more, on slow weeks the tinter is not sweating money because they are still paid.  Then you can add bonuses or such if you hit certain sales meaning they really deserve extra.  Flat rate is not bad, but as Ocala stated some films are harder to work with along with some vehicles being more difficult or have extra work like front quarter windows or door panel removal.  Percentage is great if you charge extra for vehicles that take longer because the tinter will make more money off it.

as a matter of fact the installation time and cost need to be accounted for in the sales price of the product.

So therefore, the amount the installer gets paid to execute a job should be based on that, not a single flat rate of "X" amount per window. 

you can still have a single flat rate that is reflective of the additional time it take. if you do have a film that takes more time and effort you can insert a pay differential to be used when installing a difficult film. ie: flat rate plus + amount of dollars or flat rate +x% or a simply a higher flat rate

So what is the point in your original post? Seems like you have things figured out.

1. looking for thoughts and contrasting view points from owners and installers 

2. discussion helps my look at things from different angles and identify holes in my ideas that I may have missed to help come up with the final version my thought.

I pay my employee a salary no matter how busy or slow, but also give bonuses daily if we do a lot of work for the day.

Salary would be the Ideal option for both owner and installer. unfortunately I'm not to that point yet

Archived