Is it really Nano Particle?

Guest gstuart

Which tint did you go for? 

I was mislead by a Tint shop claiming they installed Nano Ceramic tints.  When in realty, it wasn't even ceramic.  (Solarguard Ultra Performance).

A rep who use to work for Solarguard even said this tint was garbage and overpriced.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was mislead by a Tint shop claiming they installed Nano Ceramic tints.  When in realty, it wasn't even ceramic.  (Solarguard Ultra Performance).

A rep who use to work for Solarguard even said this tint was garbage and overpriced.

What did you end up doing?  Can't remember if you posted the outcome or not.

Solargard UP contains ceramics, and I can vouch that these are the good and stable type.

I refer to this film comparison table from Suntek against Solargard

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/SunTek_indv_SS_auto_comp_CXP.pdf

Part 1

According to the table,

TSER of CXP35 vs TSER of UP30

53% vs 43%

TSER of CXP18 vs TSER of UP20

56% vs 49%

Within similar VLT range, the document reveals that CXP offers better TSER than Solargard UP

Note: This is where that ex-Solargard rep drew his (wrong) conclusion.

Part 2

Now, let me rebute the ex-Solargard rep with solar-radiation science:

- Earlier, I mentioned the Solargard uses a type of good and stable ceramic in UP. These are the real stuff with superior heat reduction at all climates.

- During the mid-day sun of Autumn to Spring, CXP and UP should be giving similar infrared reduction (+/- 10%).

- When the solar radiation increases during summer mid-day, UP is able to clock over 90% of infrared reduction while CXP is unable to hit above 70% (Assumption Wavelength @1700-2300nm)

- With UP, less than 10%(100-90%) of infrared radiation from sun penetrates, into the car during a hot summer afternoon (versus 30% (100-70) for CXP). Now, imagine the difference in comfort during driving in a hot day.

Disclaimer: I do not have the exact performance specification of CXP or UP under the Assumption Wavelength (higher temperature). The figures in Part 2 are based on my estimates based on the performance attributes of the two different types of ceramics that CXP and UP used.

Now, if you can laid your hands on two similar VLT films of CXP and UP, please feel the heat reduction under a heat lamp.

Your skin will not lie to you.

Guest gstuart

Solargard UP contains ceramics, and I can vouch that these are the good and stable type.

I refer to this film comparison table from Suntek against Solargard

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/SunTek_indv_SS_auto_comp_CXP.pdf

Part 1

According to the table,

TSER of CXP35 vs TSER of UP30

53% vs 43%

TSER of CXP18 vs TSER of UP20

56% vs 49%

Within similar VLT range, the document reveals that CXP offers better TSER than Solargard UP

Note: This is where that ex-Solargard rep drew his (wrong) conclusion.

Part 2

Now, let me rebute the ex-Solargard rep with solar-radiation science:

- Earlier, I mentioned the Solargard uses a type of good and stable ceramic in UP. These are the real stuff with superior heat reduction at all climates.

- During the mid-day sun of Autumn to Spring, CXP and UP should be giving similar infrared reduction (+/- 10%).

- When the solar radiation increases during summer mid-day, UP is able to clock over 90% of infrared reduction while CXP is unable to hit above 70% (Assumption Wavelength @1700-2300nm)

- With UP, less than 10%(100-90%) of infrared radiation from sun penetrates, into the car during a hot summer afternoon (versus 30% (100-70) for CXP). Now, imagine the difference in comfort during driving in a hot day.

Disclaimer: I do not have the exact performance specification of CXP or UP under the Assumption Wavelength (higher temperature). The figures in Part 2 are based on my estimates based on the performance attributes of the two different types of ceramics that CXP and UP used.

Now, if you can laid your hands on two similar VLT films of CXP and UP, please feel the heat reduction under a heat lamp.

Your skin will not lie to you.

Look at the charts, SG has the LOWEST heat rejection ratings.   And yes, SG UP is NOT ceramic. I called and the rep verified. Oh, don't get me started on the CLOUDY HAZE when the sun hits it.

Look at the charts, SG has the LOWEST heat rejection ratings.   And yes, SG UP is NOT ceramic. I called and the rep verified. Oh, don't get me started on the CLOUDY HAZE when the sun hits it.

I enjoy such intellectual discussions with people who are interested to know more about their tints. It's always good to know more.

PART 1: "Look at the charts, SG has the LOWEST heat rejection ratings."

Yup, I quote the charts because I think it is why '"rep who use to work for Solarguard even said this tint was garbage and overpriced."

PART 2: "SG UP is NOT ceramic"

I am not from Solargard. I used to sell Solargard. I drew my conclusion that ceramic compounds are added to UP as the following behaviour is typical of good ceramics chemicals.

In an earlier post, i shared the differences in performance attributes of various 3M Crystalline model that comes with and without ceramics.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/82557-is-it-really-nano-particle/?p=1293733

Season A: Mid-day temperatures from Autumn to Spring

Season B: Mid-day temperatures during Summer.

Ceramic films (without Carbon Added), are designed to reduce greater % of Infrared Radiation in Season B

Illustrative Example: Season A: 40%, Season B: 90%

PART 3: "CLOUDY HAZE when the sun hits it."

This is another tell-tale sign that there are ceramics. Haze is an issue for some mannies when they add ceramics to autotints, include the Japanese

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/76463-aswf-longevity/?p=1293741

In my opinion, Japan supplies the most expensive and BEST ceramics materials for tints but they are notorious of high-performing autotints with hue.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/82557-is-it-really-nano-particle/?p=1293740

I give credit to 3M for customizing various models of CR to make the best out of the VLT limitations. Some mannies don't bother to understand Haze and hue and their ceramic autotints have lower heat reduction and greater hue and haze at all VLTs.

So if the UP has no ceramic particles what causes the haze ???

Dye does not cause low angle haze...

:blink

:thumb  great minds think alike. We responded at the same time.

PART 3: "CLOUDY HAZE when the sun hits it."

This is another tell-tale sign that there are ceramics. Haze is an issue for some mannies when they add ceramics to autotints, include the Japanese

In my opinion, Japan supplies the most expensive and BEST ceramics materials for tints but they are notorious of high-performing autotints with hue.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/76463-aswf-longevity/?p=1293741

I give credit to 3M for customizing various models of CR to make the best out of the VLT limitations. Some mannies don't bother to understand Haze and hue and their ceramic autotints have lower heat reduction and greater hue and haze at all VLTs.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/82557-is-it-really-nano-particle/?p=1293740

Hi gstuart, I feel that the ex-Solargard Rep is quite novice to make those sweeping statements and claims, as compared with other ex-manny Rep Master Smarties and likes, in our industry. Perhaps he did not have a good mentor or chance to know in-depth about the tints that he was selling.

Hope you enjoy these discussions. Good night!

Haze can also be attributed to quality of polyester used and it's quality is determined in terms of brightness when closing a deal for bulk amounts film manufacturer's purchase. Unfortunately the top polyester makers/suppliers cannot keep pace with demand for the brightest (highest quality) polyester. This contributes, too, to the cost of end stage, salable product.

Archived