PPF Help. Bumper Off The Car and Not Much Edge To Play WIth.

Hey Everyone, I have 2 questions/issues.

1. I'm taking the front headlights off, but in order to do so I need to take the front bumper off. Has anyone done a front bumper that was off the car with bulk?

2. I'm wrapping the edges on the front hood and I'm not sure if I should go beyond the first weld. There's maybe 3 millimeters between the weld under the hood and the edge of the hood. Is that enough surface area to wrap the edges and have them stay put?

Thanks.

Installing on panels that are not on the car can be pretty challenging if you don't have some way to securely mount them.

It doesn't hurt to have more film than you need on the underside of the hood, as you can always trim off the excess afterwards (if you and your customer are comfortable about you using a blade).

I always go over the pinch welds under the hood. You need enough surface area stuck so it will not peel back. Then I heat the film down well under the hood. As for doing the bumper off the car, i would not. Unless you set up to secure it down well it will be a nightmare. I've done it once, never again.

I`ve done a bunch of loose bumpers as a number of my customers are body shop insurance claims, (fresh repaints....I know, add to the fun). If the bumper is big enough, (like a large SUV), they stay put decently on a rack or good table. Not my first choice, but it can be done. Thin bumpers or even worse, loose GM upper bumpers I won`t touch until back on the vehicle. I`ve only been doing this for a couple of years, my tips and tricks are limited, your mileage may vary.

You should go past the weld line at least half an inch. If not there is a chance it could eventually come back up as the film will have air channeling through the weld gap. The adhesive will eventually weaken and it could come up. If there is enough film over the weld to hold then it wont be a problem.

I wont bulk bumpers off the vehicle unless its locked into a rack somehow.

Archived