Fines for illegally tinting windows

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LINKEDIN 6COMMENTEMAILMORE

GREENSBORO, NC -- When you buy a used car, you're worried about making sure it is in good working condition. Rarely does the tint come to mind.

But in NC, the tinting guidelines are different than in other states. If your tint is too dark, you can be fined and your car won't pass inspection.

2WTK asked JD Walters of the NC DOT answer the most commonly asked car tint questions.

Q: How do you know if your car has factory or after-market tint?

A: First, factory tint is a dye process added to the window glass at the factory by the manufacturer. The dye is permanent and cannot be removed. After factory tint is a transparent paper or film with adhesive on one side that bonds to the window glass. It is not permanent and can be removed. Second is to look at the tint to determine if it attached to the glass, or a dye covering glass. If you are still unsure you can contact the manufacturer or visit your local License & Theft Bureau Office to have it analyzed.

Q: If a car has after factory tint, who can test your vehicle to see if the level of tint is in its correct parameters by NC statute?

A: Your local License & Theft Bureau Inspector or your local inspection station can assist you in determining your vehicles level of window tint and if it meets N.C.G.S. 20-127 requirements, 32% total light transmission.

Q: Where can consumers go specifically to get their car tested to be sure their tint levels are standard?

A: The NC DMV License & Theft Bureau Office or local inspection station.

Q: What happens of someone moves to NC from another state and the tint on their car is not the NC- based standard? Will they receive a fine during the inspection?

A: A citizen registering their vehicle in the state of North Carolina is required to comply with all the laws of this state. If the citizen is passing through and their vehicle is registered in another state, they must comply with the laws of the state they have their vehicle registered. According to N.C.G.S. 20-183.3(a)(5) an inspection mechanic must first determine if the vehicle has after factory tint applied to the vehicle. If after factory tint has been applied, the inspector mechanic must use a light meter approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, to determine if the tint is within the legal limits. If the vehicle meets the requirements, it passes the window tint inspection. If it does not meet the statutory requirements, the vehicle fails the inspection. At no time will the inspector mechanic issue a citizen failing the vehicle inspection, due to window tinting, a fine. The citizen will be required to comply with the window tint law before it can pass the vehicle inspection.

Q: What is the fine if caught driving with illegally tinted windows on a NC registered vehicle?

A: $240.00 ($50.00, fine & $190.00 court cost). This is a Class 2 Misdemeanor.

And in case you're wondering, yes, it does cost a few hundred bucks to get the tint taken off your car!

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/local/2-wants-to-know/2015/01/27/car-tint-nc-dot-department-of-transportation-north-carolina-motor-vehicles/22422663/ 

:thumb

Another news team asking the same question was told $290 court cost inclusive.

In all my reading this is what it seems to be:

$50 for less than 32% VLT + court cost

$200 for no medical waiver sticker + court cost.

Found nothing related to installer or tint shop fine.

I am not asking about a tint ticket for HAVING illegal tint but punishment for INSTALLING illegal tint. Cops around my high school are cracking down big time and are looking for the person tinting everybody's windows illegally.  :mdog  :dunno

I am not asking about a tint ticket for HAVING illegal tint but punishment for INSTALLING illegal tint. Cops around my high school are cracking down big time and are looking for the person tinting everybody's windows illegally.   :mdog   :dunno

If they are able to go after a shop or its owner, the judicial system would have to determine whether it would be a civil or criminal case.

This determination would be the factor for how much fines are levied.  If they are able to make it a criminal case, the fines could go out the roof, as most civil cases have a lower fine limit.  

I don't know about other states and how much of this would hold weight. I tint a lot of police cars and some for the state. Had an officer,that is very knowledgeable about the laws, that it would be hard to go after shops because its not illegal until it hits the streets. In Ga, the cops can use it as an excuse to pull u over now. In the past they could not. I was not tinting whole windshields but was told "do it" make your money, we are going to make ours. To me its like building a race car,for example ,for someone. They put it on the street then its illegal.

Had a customer come in a few years ago. We took her 5% off,(we did not do), and put legal on. After a few days I was talking to a cop about dark tint and he was telling me about a mustang they keep pulling over & ticketing, 7 times by then. I ask if the name of the individual was so&so, yes it is. Well she is legal now. He just laughed. They are happy making money on tint. But most really don't worry about it.

THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE, NOT SAYING ITS THE WAY IT IS. I stay away from 5% and NO ONE under 18 gets illegal tint,don't care if parents ok it or not.

I don't know about other states and how much of this would hold weight. I tint a lot of police cars and some for the state. Had an officer,that is very knowledgeable about the laws, that it would be hard to go after shops because it's not illegal until it hits the streets. In Ga, the cops can use it as an excuse to pull u over now. In the past they could not. I was not tinting whole windshields but was told "do it" make your money, we are going to make ours. To me its like building a race car,for example ,for someone. They put it on the street then its illegal.

THIS   :yeah  This goes for A LOT of things.  Which makes it so hard to make anything stick against the shops.  

The radio isn't illegal until you turn it up to loud.   :headbang   Those light bars aren't illegal until you turn them on going down the road.   :blind  Those double din DVD players in the front dash aren't illegal until you put a movie in and override the parking brake safety :tv

Archived