In which states is high VLT windshield tint legal?

Texas is the same as WA and NC and noted below from IWFA.com:

Window Tint Standards can be found in the Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Rule 21.3.

Note: Windows immediately to the right and left of the driver that have less than 25% light transmission will fail inspection, regardless of the year model of the vehicle.

A medical exemption is required, only if the citizen needs tint on the two front windows darker than the 25% requirement.

Windshield

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

1. Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
  2. Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
  3. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
  4. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
  5. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

Hawaii was thought to have changed their law allowing 70% net windshield however, after verifying it is only the top portion normally above AS-1.

With all due respect to the IFWA they do not write the laws for each state and when the sumerize the laws on their site the may do so with errors.

The texas government site states:

(2) Windshields. No after-market sunscreening devices shall be installed, affixed, or applied to a vehicle windshield below the AS-1 line, or five inches from the top of the windshield if the AS-1 line annotation is not present.

(e) Medical exceptions.

(1) Not withstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, a motor vehicle operated by or regularly used to transport any person with a medical condition which renders the person susceptible to harm or injury from exposure to sunlight or bright artificial light may be equipped, on all the windows except the windshield, with sunscreening devices that reduces the light transmission values of less than 25%. An untinted film or glaze may be applied to the area below the AS-1 line of the windshield of a motor vehicle provided the total visible light transmission is not reduced by a value of 5%. Vehicles equipped with sunscreening devices under this medical exception shall not be operated on any highway unless, while being so operated, the driver or an occupant of the vehicle possesses a certificate issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

What is written on the IWFA site (assuming that your text was copied from IWFA) is in direct contradiction to what is found on the Texas State site.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in any event my whole reasoning for this is that I'm having a conversation with my legislator to ask him about updating Utah's tint Laws. One suggestion I plan to make is that the state allow for High VLT Films on windshield.

I want to be able to accurately reference states (and site the laws) that allow these films on windshield

As talked about on another thread 70/80 will bring the VLT below 70% on majority if not all vehicles.  So only option of having anything legal for UV Shield or a 90.  Problem though is if the stock windshield is a mid-70 or so adding a 90 will also make it below 70.  So IMO it's not going to happen simply because factory VLT will vary.

As talked about on another thread 70/80 will bring the VLT below 70% on majority if not all vehicles.  So only option of having anything legal for UV Shield or a 90.  Problem though is if the stock windshield is a mid-70 or so adding a 90 will also make it below 70.  So IMO it's not going to happen simply because factory VLT will vary.

I definitely understand your point. one of the items I would like to address is is either increasing the variance or moving to regulating based on Film VLT instead of NET VLT. This would make it easier to deal with the range of stock VLTs.

I actually wrote a blog post about all of what id like to propose. I'll have to post a link to see what you all think

I don't know TN tint law word for word, but i do not classify 70% as having reallyany tint to it. I sell it as a uv protective film, designed specifically to block the sun rays, while maintaining good clear visibility.

You are only allowed to tint with a non-reflective film above the AS-1 line.  Full tinting of the windshield is illegal in TN.

Which is precisely why I don't consider 70% to be tint. Any cop I have ever shown it to either had no problem with me applying it to a windshield. While others loved the concept, and had it installed on their vehicles.

I agree it looks extremely clear, but still illegal.  It is Safety vs Legality...Safe, yes...Legal, no.  Majority of our windshields are done in 50 which can be seen out perfectly.

Archived