Need Help Selecting Film

Apologies in advance -- there are probably multiple threads already on this, but I cannot seem to find them.

I live in PA, USA.  I am looking for the best residential product to meet the following criteria:  1) maximum protection against fading, 2) minimum disruption of view in and out -- in other words I want the film to be as invisible as possible.  Which brand would you recommend?  3M Prestige?  Cool?  Other?

Also, can I obtain and apply any of the recommended brands myself -- I am pretty handy -- or is this not possible/recommended.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks. Are all of these mentioned products in the same league with one another given what I am seeking to achieve or does any 1 or 2 stand out as better for fading with minimal visibility? Are these others generally better than the prestige? Thanks

Thanks. Are all of these mentioned products in the same league with one another given what I am seeking to achieve or does any 1 or 2 stand out as better for fading with minimal visibility? Are these others generally better than the prestige? Thanks

Better depends on who you ask. Ask a 3M salesperson and see what will you get?

Personally I've sold Vista and Solar Gard (maker of Panorama) products so, as you sees I have given you a broad spectrum of like products so as to remain unbiased.

UV accounts for 40% of fade.

Light accounts for 25%

Heat accounts for 25%

Humidity, color fastness of material, artificial lighting the remaining 10%

Best fade protection is zero light, no UV, moderate temps and no humidity found in deep dark caves.

Film can only reduce or slow fade, it does not stop fading. Every material previously or currently exposed to all the above named conditions have some kind of degradation in color occurring at one level or rate. This degradation (or fade) will continue in all exposed materials after film is applied BUT, at a seriously reduced rate.

Pick one and be happy with the choice for years to come.

I too am pretty handy... so too was an ex-ceo of llumar films who installed film to sliding doors his first time so well it could have been sold to a homeowner. However, it took me wasting a butt-load of material to get it right to my satisfaction. We McGyver types are perfectionists to a degree or more so.

JH12 said in a different way ... Best to pay someone install it who has done it daily, aka a Pro.

Just to add, installing the film yourself will void any type of warranty on the film and your glass if there is still a warranty on them. Most film companies will offer a 36 month seal failure and 60 month thermal shock warranty if a film is installed by an authorized dealer of whatever brand you choose assuming you have double pane glass.

Better depends on who you ask. Ask a 3M salesperson and see what will you get?

Personally I've sold Vista and Solar Gard (maker of Panorama) products so, as you sees I have given you a broad spectrum of like products so as to remain unbiased.

UV accounts for 40% of fade.

Light accounts for 25%

Heat accounts for 25%

Humidity, color fastness of material, artificial lighting the remaining 10%

Best fade protection is zero light, no UV, moderate temps and no humidity found in deep dark caves.

Film can only reduce or slow fade, it does not stop fading. Every material previously or currently exposed to all the above named conditions have some kind of degradation in color occurring at one level or rate. This degradation (or fade) will continue in all exposed materials after film is applied BUT, at a seriously reduced rate.

Pick one and be happy with the choice for years to come.

I too am pretty handy... so too was an ex-ceo of llumar films who installed film to sliding doors his first time so well it could have been sold to a homeowner. However, it took me wasting a butt-load of material to get it right to my satisfaction. We McGyver types are perfectionists to a degree or more so.

JH12 said in a different way ... Best to pay someone install it who has done it daily, aka a Pro.

:yeah

If I were in your shoes I would have each of the dealers for your area get you a quote and go with the one that you feel comfortable with doing the work on your home.

Don't forget to look at how long a shop has been around and check review sites.

The well established shop may be $200.00 and the " guy in a truck" at $50.00 for comparable films. Their install techs may even be of equal skill.

If there is ever an issue which one do you think would "have your back" in sorting it out.

Archived