Starting A Bussiness

Yes yes another one of these posts. Well, let me start with a formal introduction.

I have about a year of experience helping with installs and doing minor installs; flat glass, and small auto windows. Before you start to laugh I'm going to say I respect what you guys do, I respect the business, and respect the experience it takes to properly install film. I'm by no means at the experience level to operate to the public as a tint service. I'm actually a landscaper and a manager for a lawn care/snow plowing company. After branching out and start my own side lawn care business I would like to also start a tint business. My plan is to gain experience in my free time and see were I go from there. I originally wanted to order SunTek Carbon from my old boss but I don't think he was to acceptable to that considering he has given no positive response. So after giving SunTek a call I see that you have to actually be a business owner to order from them.

I'M ONLY TRYING TO PURCHASE FILM TO PRACTICE ON MY OWN VEHICLE, FRIENDS & FAMILY, AND MY WORK TRUCKS. NOT GOING TO JUMP OUT AND DO ANYTHING INVOLVING PUBLIC SALES. but I refuse to pay $333.00 + shipping for a 60 by 100 ft roll of SunTek Carbon.

So far I have registered a LLC, a DBA, and from what I could enter a FEID #, a sales tax registration, and will also register what information is needed with my local treasury. I'm going to make this clear before anybody says (UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING BEFORE YOU DO IT.) I just want the film, I don't know or understand the process of taxs, etc. So which brings me here. Not only would I like to introduce myself to this community (after reading post after post for days and months now) but ask if anyone has clear information for what I need to do in order to be a customer of SunTek. Thanks.

Welcome to the site. You can try out express window films. Their main brand is global which is top notch. They also have some other lines that are made for them. These films are easy to work with and will last for years. And no you don't have to pay 330 a roll for it. Check out the classic black and classic charcoal line. Hope this helps.

You might need a business license, but not sure.  Since you called already and they gave you a price, why didn't you ask what was needed to start and account?  Also why start with Carbon?  Try their standard which will be cheaper.  Another brand to look at that seems to have an easy startup and is better quality than Suntek is Global.  You can order a 60"x50' if 100' is too much...you can also order a 36" or 40" roll which would be cheaper.  Aegis is another option which is a decent film for a low cost, but Global is much better.

When I started I used suntek. They tried to go the whole we need business blah blah blah. I called back a couple days later and said yeah I want to place an order here's my card number. They forgot all about the license. There's a bunch a films to try out. Do your research. If you find a bunch of negative reviews on something there's probably a reason for it.

Wow, I go to check my thread on my phone and Bamm! Posts all ready. You guys are freaking awesome, did not expect some input that quick.

1. Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I forward to making this site my home base. Express window films you say? I will check that out tomorrow, thanks for your input. My boss that showed me a few things I think may or may not been apart of Global back in the day. Hes been around for I think it was 20 or 30 years. The $330 a roll was actually a online retailer website price for film. Checked two online film web film stores that both wanted $333 for the 60 by 100. Def helps mate.

2. That's interesting to know. Were the prices indeed a fair amount cheaper then the as advertised $333 for 60 by 100 from online retailer?

I'm going to be quite in a pickle of back tracking documentation if they are more okay with selling me film by just showing a DBA & a EIN #. It would be good to hear from other shop owners on what they did to first startup.

Did not need one when you started doing business? Well like I mentioned in the above quote, the price of $333 was actually just from a 2nd party seller that operates a tint website. When I spoke with the suntek rep she said she could not discuss price. About asking what was needed to starting the account. I did indeed ask the young lady about what exactly I need. She wasn't very distinctively helpful if I can remember her words they were something along the lines of "You need to fax us documents that you own the business, we need proof of address and proof that you actually do install film. We also need your tax EID #." I believe she had a few more requests but the conversation was cut short considering her impression that I was a no go as far as proceeding in ordering film. I was uhder the impression anybody can just order film I mean jeez. If someone with good money wants to pay cash why so requirement impacted.

I wanted to order Carbon because that's just all my previous boss would use is SunTek. SunTek box's everywhere. He's been around since the 1980s so I had the impression he used SunTek for a reason. He owns Solar Gard which if I'm not mistaken he used to be a film salesman for Global or it was the Solar Gard back in the day and he decided to branch of and make his own business. Since I have two inputs of using Global I will def take this into a consideration. I was going to originally order the smallest film size I could find but after realizing all I'm going to be doing with it is practicing and I really don't want to run out. From what I have read on this site if you order a 60" by (x) roll you can cut the film 24 by 36 as it comes out and you have a good selection as far as saving film for later projects such as car windows and can use the 36 for back windows etc.

Another question I do have while were at the starting lines is Do you have to pay tax on selling installs (this is for future reference in regards to making sure I set this business up right, please do take in mind I'm far beyond selling to the general public as far as a experienced installer), how does the tax deal work. Do I have to send quarterly paperwork or do I send everything at the end of the year. Thanks again, Glad you guys are staying active on this website! TintDude.com 4 LIFE WHAT WHAT!

Some people collect tax, some do not.  I would check the local laws on it.  We collect sales tax on the entire price, but we could seperate film cost and labor and then could charge tax on only the film.  You can also pay tax when you buy the film which would allow you not to collect tax.

Archived